Getting nervous about winter and a question about the chest of a goose.

Nope, nothing! I watch them all the time in their pool. There has been nothing.So, 7 months is when they become sexually active?
Not usually but we're seeing some already at it. My Buff was only a few days over 4 months when she allowed my gander to mate with her. I was so surprised, Haven't seen any mating in the last week but for a while they were mating daily. You might see some acting out of mating though. One trying to mount the other but Breeding usually doesn't begin to following year after they have hatched. Here in Western NC mating started in Feb this year. year before it was Jan. But I am seeing my gander already acting very protective of his girls Is Lucy Embden or Pilgrim if Pilgrim then gander.

Lucy is Embden, Moose is Toulous/Chinese mix. When strangers approach my driveway, Lucy always stands in front of me and hisses at them. I have never seen Moose hiss.

Lucy is Embden, Moose is Toulous/Chinese mix. When strangers approach my driveway, Lucy always stands in front of me and hisses at them. I have never seen Moose hiss.
Both my adult geese hiss, goose and gander but my goose would not stand between me and someone like my gander would. I thought Lucy was Embden but sometimes when I look at Pilgrims they remind me of Embden.

Honestly, I'm fine if they are both girls! I will have a hard time if I have to take their eggs or babies away!
Even if they are both girls you'll still have to take their eggs eventually or they will rot and bust and make a big mess, Goose eggs are very tasty. they make great omelets. I am not even going to think about goslings, having my 4 is enough goose for me. I love them dearly but they are not nice to the rest of my flock, chickens and ducks. One day I hope to just have my geese. They will most likely out live me.

If Lucy turns out to be a gander like serv has said, his personality will change and he'll begin to get protective of Moose he'll probably even want to nip so remember even when they are at their worst they are only behaving normal and you'll have to make sure you remind him that your in charge, especially around your girls. It's hard to believe now since he/she is so friendly but ganders are made to be protective of their mates and goslings so it's bound to happen just how extreme he'll be is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
Hi Amanda,
I have four toulous geese and they hold out the winter very well. I have had them for about 4 years now. I live in North Idaho, and some winters are mild, some winters are bitter cold. Geese are pretty tough and can handle a lot. During the day I leave them out so they can get exercise, and I put them away at night. During the winter I have more predators lurking about looking for a meal. I lost one goose my first winter due to poor fencing, so I know the mean critters come around. I just provide them with dry shelter full of straw to get out of frigid cold and snow. Mine don't care for heat lamps in their shelter, but when it gets down to 0 or below, they start stressing out. I keep a heat lamp just outside of their shelter near the food, water and I use a red light instead of a white bright light. The bright ones blind them. At least they are offered the heat. I keep pine shavings down on the ground so their feet don't frost bite. I always worry about that one. My geese have both kinds of chests. the split down the middle or the full rounded. Not sure - just thought that is how they are. I let them hatch out a batch of babies one year.... holy cow.. that was a learning experience. It was so cool to watch them with their babies. It was almost like watching a documentary - the things they were teaching them. Have a good day. Carmen.
frow.gif

Hi Amanda,
I have four toulous geese and they hold out the winter very well. I have had them for about 4 years now. I live in North Idaho, and some winters are mild, some winters are bitter cold. Geese are pretty tough and can handle a lot. During the day I leave them out so they can get exercise, and I put them away at night. During the winter I have more predators lurking about looking for a meal. I lost one goose my first winter due to poor fencing, so I know the mean critters come around. I just provide them with dry shelter full of straw to get out of frigid cold and snow. Mine don't care for heat lamps in their shelter, but when it gets down to 0 or below, they start stressing out. I keep a heat lamp just outside of their shelter near the food, water and I use a red light instead of a white bright light. The bright ones blind them. At least they are offered the heat. I keep pine shavings down on the ground so their feet don't frost bite. I always worry about that one. My geese have both kinds of chests. the split down the middle or the full rounded. Not sure - just thought that is how they are. I let them hatch out a batch of babies one year.... holy cow.. that was a learning experience. It was so cool to watch them with their babies. It was almost like watching a documentary - the things they were teaching them. Have a good day. Carmen.
frow.gif
Please post some pics they sound like a lovely group. and

Welcome to BYC

Carmen, I would love to watch them with babies, however, the babies would have to go, and I would feel awful getting rid of them. Best not to let any hatch! When the male becomes protective of the female, is he mean all year round, or only when eggs are layed or how does that work? Right now, Lucy follows me everywhere. If I walk away and moose doesn't follow me, she'll come with me and leave Moose. I hope, if Lucy is a boy, she stays nice.

Good Morning,
The Males are very aggressive during egg laying time. Down right mean! I have to carry a stick with me to shoo them away or I have to let them out of their pen and they like to use the driveway like a runway - its so cool to watch them do that! Then I can run in and grab eggs real quick. I only hatched out one batch of eggs - 13 babies. Then they were done laying for the year. However it was hard to get rid of the babies, but on the other hand those little guys eat a ton of food and poop all over the place so it was good to find them homes. I kept one baby, the runt. I have Hewey, Dewey, Daisy, and Sunny the baby. I had Lewey but I think a bobcat got him. They settle down after egg laying time is done. Hewey is my most aggressive goose now. He likes to sneak up on me and bite me in the rear if I am not paying attention. Not much of anything messes with him. He on occasion will be nice, but not often. Dewey is a nice male, I can pet and love him, and Daisy-momma is very friendly. They all follow me around like puppies-the whole group. Sunny is kind of the odd goose out. Sunny was the runt, and seems to hang back a little even though she is their kid. Dewey is a peaceful goose. He gets after Hewey for attacking me, which is cool. But if I show any aggression towards Hewey, then Dewey will come after me. I like them, but Hewey one day may make it to the stew pot.
I have chickens for the first time this year, and the geese are curious about them, but so far have been nice to the chickens. I was worried they would bully them around if I let them out, but so far seem to be doing ok. I supervise the outings until I am comfortable with them. I have a 100 pound black lab retriever. She is so good with the birds, she keeps the geese in line too. She did not turn out to be a good hunting dog for my dad so she came to live at my house. She heards up the chickens and scoots them back to the pen at night. - such a cliché! some bird dog! She is a peaceful keeping dog too which I like. She does not care for the geese too much, but I have caught them playing a game... they each like to sneak up on each other. They nip and run.... it is so funny. My animals are comical to watch I sure enjoy them. Have a good day! I better get back to work.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom