Goat Thread!

So cute!!

I just received my very first Goat as an adult. I was told she is 1yr old and very friendly,thats all I know about her. I joined this group in hopes of learning the things I need to, should, and want to know to have a very healthy, happy, pet Goat. I am open to all information, please anything anyone would be willing to tell me I am all ears! This is all new to me, nothing would be too basic!
I would love to know her breed! How much of what to feed gives best results, I honestly don't know how much of this feed I should be feeding her. I'm feeding 2x daily 1/2 pound each feeding. Is this appropriate? What else do goats need for nutrition and what people foods or snacks are good for rewarding positive behavior? Do goats need vaccines? Wormed? That type of stuff! I read it is best to have more than one Goat. Is this so and if yes as long as both are female does breed matter? Pets, not dairy, meat nor reproducing.

I have been in rescue for yrs. Cats, dogs, house pets. I have 4 wonderful dogs, 3 cats (2 inside 1 stray that showed up I vetted and he lives outside at his insistence) 8 chickens, and 35 head of cattle,and now Maxine (my 3yr old grandson named her lol) the Goat.All but cattle are rescues, a few cows have been hand raised from birth due to necessity.
Maxine's story.
My dad was with a friend at an acquaintances farm, they said they took the Maxine in due to neighbors moving. They nolonger wanted her, had no luck rehoming her. If she was still there today Easter Sunday they were going to bar-b-que her!!!!!!! My dad called immediately, naturally living on a farm with plenty room and being an animal lover/advocate I agreed immediately to take her in and make her party of our farm family. My dad picked her up and brought her to the farm yesterday. Beautiful, friendly, loving, and funny! I fell in love instantly! Maxine is a special gal, my dad gave her to me, my Dad is currently undergoing chemo and radiation. His prognosis is not good. This all being said, please help me learn to care for Maxine properly so I can insure her a long happy healthy life here on the farm.

I just received my very first Goat as an adult. I was told she is 1yr old and very friendly,thats all I know about her. I joined this group in hopes of learning the things I need to, should, and want to know to have a very healthy, happy, pet Goat. I am open to all information, please anything anyone would be willing to tell me I am all ears! This is all new to me, nothing would be too basic!
I would love to know her breed! How much of what to feed gives best results, I honestly don't know how much of this feed I should be feeding her. I'm feeding 2x daily 1/2 pound each feeding. Is this appropriate? What else do goats need for nutrition and what people foods or snacks are good for rewarding positive behavior? Do goats need vaccines? Wormed? That type of stuff! I read it is best to have more than one Goat. Is this so and if yes as long as both are female does breed matter? Pets, not dairy, meat nor reproducing.

I have been in rescue for yrs. Cats, dogs, house pets. I have 4 wonderful dogs, 3 cats (2 inside 1 stray that showed up I vetted and he lives outside at his insistence) 8 chickens, and 35 head of cattle,and now Maxine (my 3yr old grandson named her lol) the Goat.All but cattle are rescues, a few cows have been hand raised from birth due to necessity.
Maxine's story.
My dad was with a friend at an acquaintances farm, they said they took the Maxine in due to neighbors moving. They nolonger wanted her, had no luck rehoming her. If she was still there today Easter Sunday they were going to bar-b-que her!!!!!!! My dad called immediately, naturally living on a farm with plenty room and being an animal lover/advocate I agreed immediately to take her in and make her party of our farm family. My dad picked her up and brought her to the farm yesterday. Beautiful, friendly, loving, and funny! I fell in love instantly! Maxine is a special gal, my dad gave her to me, my Dad is currently undergoing chemo and radiation. His prognosis is not good. This all being said, please help me learn to care for Maxine properly so I can insure her a long happy healthy life here on the farm.

put her with another goat

put her with another goat
Please, do not put her with an another goat yet...she has not been tested for diseases or had adequate quarantine time....
I just received my very first Goat as an adult. I was told she is 1yr old and very friendly, that's all I know about her. I joined this group in hopes of learning the things I need to, should, and want to know to have a very healthy, happy, pet Goat. I am open to all information, please anything anyone would be willing to tell me I am all ears! This is all new to me, nothing would be too basic!

I have been in rescue for yrs. Cats, dogs, house pets. I have 4 wonderful dogs, 3 cats (2 inside 1 stray that showed up I vetted and he lives outside at his insistence) 8 chickens, and 35 head of cattle, no longer and now Maxine (my 3yr old grandson named her lol) the Goat.All but cattle are rescues, a few cows have been hand raised from birth due to necessity.
Maxine's story.
My dad was with a friend at an acquaintances farm, they said they took the Maxine in due to neighbors moving longer wanted her, had no luck rehoming her. If she was still there today Easter Sunday they were going to bar-b-que her!!!!!!! My dad called immediately, naturally living on a farm with plenty room and being an animal lover/advocate I agreed immediately to take her in and make her party of our farm family. My dad picked her up and brought her to the farm yesterday. Beautiful, friendly, loving, and funny! I fell in love instantly! Maxine is a special gal, my dad gave her to me, my Dad is currently undergoing chemo and radiation. His prognosis is not good. This all being said, please help me learn to care for Maxine properly so I can ensure her a long happy healthy life here on the farm.
Well, first off is Welcome and Congrats on being the proud owner of your first goat!!!!!!

As I said above don't get her a buddy yet as she should be quarantined for 4-weeks at the least. I would test her for CL, CAE, & John's, ASAP.... You should also have a Fecal run on her in the next week to know how much to deworm ( the vet can do it for pretty reasonable). You should get a relationship started with a vet ASAP.

If you can get me some pics I can tell you her breed along with more information. A pic of her hooves would be good also.

If she isn't under weight I wouldn't be feeding her much grain...1 cup should be enough for her to keep up her body condition. She should have hay and minerals available 24/7.... also some alfalfa pellets as a snack would be good. Does she have pasture available and if so how much? Does it have much browse or mostly graze?

Your vet will be able to tell you about vaccines. I don't vaccine any of my goats and have not had ANY issues from not doing them...I often get told all my goats will die if I don't vaccine...not true! She would probably be fine if you don't vaccine her but do what you feel comfortable with!

You should check her eyelids to get her famancha...and also this will tell you more if she has worms but not reliable enough to tell so that is why you should have the Fecal run.

Hope she settles in well for you!

Your goat needs good quality hay free choice, minerals, and a salt block. She needs to be vaccinated for enterotoxemia and tetanus. Get a vial of CD/T at the feed store and that should take care of it. You should get a book. The Storey book on goats is a good one to start with. Go to caprinesupply.com and send for their catalog. It has a lot of good information in it.

regarding the above response of quarantine, i totally forgot about that, my bad, I'm used to buying from disease free farms....around here if you sell diseased goats word spreads and no one buys from you.

regarding the above response of quarantine, i totally forgot about that, my bad, I'm used to buying from disease free farms....around here if you sell diseased goats word spreads and no one buys from you. 

I have always had to be strict becuase peole have know issue lieing to us to buy there goats...stinks!

I can totally understand why you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom