Goat Thread

@cherrynberry - I have seen many bucks and wethers successfully move through the auctions here, though they go cheaply. If you know how to advertise and want to try and find a responsible home, you may find someone wanting a wether as a pet or a buck to add to their herd for breeding purposes. Resources like a local sale paper, bulletin board, Facebook, online forums, Craigslist etc could work

All the shots I have given were subcutaneous.

Here is my take on keeping a buck. A buck needs a buddy too. A lonely goat = a stressed goat = an unhealthy goat. If you are going to feed another goat, why not get a second buck? You'd spend a little more on a buck compared to a wether but after that they cost the same to feed and care for. Your case might be a bit different if you plan to keep the ND and boar buck together.

I would not breed a doe to her full sire.

I do not sell bucklings intact unless I think they can add to the genetic pool. I have only sold one as a buckling. Every other male has been banded and sold as a wether. I haven't really had any trouble selling them as people like them as pets. I don't over price them so that helps. I've seen/heard of people that try to sell them for the same price as a breeding goat so they probably don't sell very fast.

I’ve been raising goats for about 6-7 years now. I started with Boer, but now I primarily raise Nigerians, and I just started showing them competitively last year :)
1.) Do you keep a goat spread sheet to keep count on who needs to be bred and their due dates and such?
You definitely want to keep a record of some kind! Everyone has something different that works for them, I put everything in my phone calendar, and then write it down when I get home. That way I have two copies if something ever happens to one.
2.) I know that ND goats tend to get leg issues. So do you have recommended supplements? I know copper is one goats may be deficient in.
I use Manna Pro goat minerals (in the orange bag) fed free choice. I also feed Kelp Meal during breeding season- I heard it was supposed to help them have more doe kids 😁
I have one doe with leg problems (my first Nigerian) she was fine until about 9 months old and then started limping :confused: my vet said it was conformation-related. I have her mom, twin sister, and two nieces who are all perfectly fine- though I have been breeding for strong legs.
3.) Do you recommend getting polled goats?
Polled goats are a toss up, they’re nice but you never know if they’re going to have polled kids or not. That being said, you’ll definitely want to disbud them, it makes them so much easier to be around, and it’s easier to find homes for the babies if they don’t have horns
4.) How often do you deworm your goats if you do?
Not very often, I use the Famacha method to worm
5.) What are your favorite goat treats?
My girls really like pumpkins :drool
6.) Do herbal dewormers for goats tend to work? What do you use?
They seem to work if you use them regularly. Molly’s Herbals is great, but I never remember to use it every week like you’re supposed to
7.) Where did you get your goats? I am planning on asking a few of my neighbors for recommendations, but I am taking lots of opinions
Local breeders are best if they’re good quality. I like to travel a little, but that’s because the herds in my area aren’t very high quality and aren’t disease tested
8.) How many times do you breed a year? How long can you milk a goat after it gives birth/after the babies are fully weaned?
Not more than once a year. You can milk her as long as you want, just not more than 2-3 months into the next pregnancy (I dry mine off before re-breeding)
9.) Do you give any special shots? (please include how they are given, otherwise, I would expect they are intermuscular shots given at the shoulder).
I only give a CD/T vaccination once a year, it’s given SQ under the front leg
10.) This is my current checklist. Any other recommendations?
You’ll want to feed mostly a grass hay such as timothy if you can find it, alfalfa is usually too rich for most goats except for pregnant/milking does.
Make sure you get some good hoof shears, otherwise you’ll wast sooo much money on those generic green ones! 🤦‍♀️
Cute collars and leashes are a requirement for raising Nigerians :)

You definitely want to keep a record of some kind! Everyone has something different that works for them, I put everything in my phone calendar, and then write it down when I get home. That way I have two copies if something ever happens to one.
Thank you. I keep spreadsheets for my chickens, so I think I will just keep a spreadsheet. How often do you clip hooves and shear udders?

Thank you. I keep spreadsheets for my chickens, so I think I will just keep a spreadsheet. How often do you clip hooves and shear udders?
It’s recommended to trim hooves every 6-8 weeks. If you only have a few you can do them all on the same day every few weeks. I have so many goats now that it kills my back to do them all at once, so I check them every few weeks and trim one goat a day
You can shave udders whenever you want, a lot of people do it before kidding, but you can wait until you start milking, or not shave them at all, depending on what you want to do :)

I just wanted to add a few more tips if you’re interested 😁
16301BB7-8CBB-46BB-80E3-4AA229E0B050.jpeg
⬆️Best Goat Book Ever

Records: I recommend keeping records for individual goats. I keep a 3-ring binder with a separate file for each goat where I put their registration papers, medical history, breeding records, and sale history.
In some states such as my own you are required to keep these records (mostly medical) for several years. The main purpose of this is for meat and milk withdrawal times and to trace disease
Registration: If you’re planning on breeding to sell, you’ll definitely want to get good quality registered stock, and you’ll get out of having to use scrapie tags as long as they’re registered and tattooed
Testing: You’ll want to start out with goats tested negative for CAE, Johnes, and CL. These are serious diseases that can go by undetected or take out your entire herd. Most serious breeders will test. I got lucky with mine, but it’s so much easier to start with tested stock than to replace infected goats that you love

That’s all I can think of right now, but feel free to ask any questions you might have 😁

It’s recommended to trim hooves every 6-8 weeks. If you only have a few you can do them all on the same day every few weeks. I have so many goats now that it kills my back to do them all at once, so I check them every few weeks and trim one goat a day
You can shave udders whenever you want, a lot of people do it before kidding, but you can wait until you start milking, or not shave them at all, depending on what you want to do :)

I just wanted to add a few more tips if you’re interested 😁
View attachment 2955908 ⬆️Best Goat Book Ever

Records: I recommend keeping records for individual goats. I keep a 3-ring binder with a separate file for each goat where I put their registration papers, medical history, breeding records, and sale history.
In some states such as my own you are required to keep these records (mostly medical) for several years. The main purpose of this is for meat and milk withdrawal times and to trace disease
Registration: If you’re planning on breeding to sell, you’ll definitely want to get good quality registered stock, and you’ll get out of having to use scrapie tags as long as they’re registered and tattooed
Testing: You’ll want to start out with goats tested negative for CAE, Johnes, and CL. These are serious diseases that can go by undetected or take out your entire herd. Most serious breeders will test. I got lucky with mine, but it’s so much easier to start with tested stock than to replace infected goats that you love

That’s all I can think of right now, but feel free to ask any questions you might have 😁
I do have a quick question. How much space does each goat need, not counting the run?

And I have been looking into tattooing too, but for now, we want a small herd for personal use. Another question, if I buy from a registered flock, would the goats automatically be registered?

I don’t know anything about goats, but good luck on your goat journey! Can’t wait to see photos!
No pictures of the goats, because we don't have any, but this is the barn. Ignore the mess, we are trying to repaint the walls. The stalls we plan to put the goats in are fully enclosed, but we will bring them outside to free range and stuff. Atleast thats the plan!

Also, I am hoping the goats will be nice to our dogs and vice versa.

Attachments

• E448BEF2-BCFB-4484-8CAF-F67B99818206.jpeg
    E448BEF2-BCFB-4484-8CAF-F67B99818206.jpeg
    843.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B714BF2E-F378-4380-8C88-FD5EE600C1AA.jpeg
    B714BF2E-F378-4380-8C88-FD5EE600C1AA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • E0817031-8736-4D33-A503-C9FE9908FA0C.jpeg
    E0817031-8736-4D33-A503-C9FE9908FA0C.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 6
  • EAAC52E4-461A-4D2C-98E0-A4C313F4F3B5.jpeg
    EAAC52E4-461A-4D2C-98E0-A4C313F4F3B5.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 6
No pictures of the goats, because we don't have any, but this is the barn. Ignore the mess, we are trying to repaint the walls. The stalls we plan to put the goats in are fully enclosed, but we will bring them outside to free range and stuff. Atleast thats the plan!

Also, I am hoping the goats will be nice to our dogs and vice versa.
That is a really nice stall!

Love the view from one of the pics you took. I can see the mountains!

Back
Top Bottom