Godzilla's egg!

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Has anyone ever had an egg like this? My EE laid very nice eggs up until last fall, then she molted and stopped laying for awhile. She started laying again a couple months ago, but her eggs have all been soft. No shells.

Today I opened the nest and found this gem!

It's big, too! Almost fills the palm of my hand. Looks like about 3 layers of shell haphazardly spread over the outside, and it's covered in tiny, rough bumps! Poor girl!

Ouch. I've sometimes gotten eggs that have that "grit" on them (usually one of the first eggs), but not one that looks like that, or is that big.

It's called ridging and it's basically a build up of calcium, it's caused by a calcium and protein difficiency in the chicken... I don't know what feed you use but compare the protein and nutrients in it to make sure they are sufficient levels, and extra clean waterers help a bunch! :)

I feed them Purina Layena crumbles. I often mix in ground-up eggshells for calcium, plus they always have access to oyster shell. Is there anything else I can do to help? I have started giving them all vitamin D3 about once a week. She's the only one having a problem.

Guess I should ask how much protein do they need each day? I'm happy to feed her scrambled eggs or whatever else might help her protein levels.

Sometimes to much protein can be an issue too, I feed late a crumbles and a mix of corn in winter for extra heat and a can of oyster shells once a week in the summer and I've never had a ridge or calcium deposits

Back
Top Bottom