Golden Comet Chickens, HELP!

I acquired four Golden Comets (all hens) almost two years ago, and they have done great. They lay jumbo sized eggs, and do it almost every day... even though the winter.
They don't make a lot of noise, and are always glad to see me, as I often bring a daily treat. I can't allow them to roam, so they stay in the coop shown below. It's a total of 4'x12' with a 4'x4' house. They usually sleep in the tallest roost outside, even in the winter! The floor of the coop has linoleum, both sides of the coop open up for easy 'sweep out' cleaning, and they seem to be happy. Oh, the other day, I had a record egg layed. It was 3.8 ounces and measured 6-1/2" in circumference! Poor Bird! LOL

I was getting a double yolk egg about once a week or so while they were young. That stopped after less than a year, though.

Oh, as for cutoffs...
medium egg 1.75 oz
large egg 2.00 oz
extra lg 2.25 oz
jumbo 2.5 oz

friggin ouch! 3.8 oz :)

Sorry, can't get the images to post with the
tags... Just click the links.

http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/coop1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/coop2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/hugeegg1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... Figured out how to upload the pics. I was trying to host them myself, but that wasn't working out too well.
My Golden Comets, and their home. :)

Hi,

Golden Comets is one of the best breed of chickens... In my eyes. I have shown chickens for years and took first place every time... they say no other breed can beat them. They love to be with you and sing if carried... extra large brown eggs and great for chicken and dumplings. Also the only breed that can be sexed the day they are hatched (rooster are light yellow and hens are a deeper reddish/brown).

So if I have a rooster golden comet and a hen golden comet can I breed them to get more or do I have to actually cross a deleware and a R.I.R?

How long do they lay for? I'm thinking of purchasing a few of last years Easter hens. (a year old) Guy says still laying good. ?? NOt sure if i should go for the older one's or the 17week old ones. ?? Can anyone help?

Has anyone ever found out a reason why the comets do not have the longevity of other breeds...I have 23 hens...and have and 15 left...they just seems to get sick and die out of no where! Very aggravated cause they are such great girls!

I did not realize there were different types of comets. I saw a picture of one the other day and loved it /img/smilies/love.gif

If anyone has pics to share, please post them so i can decide what color i want. Maybe all of them /img/smilies/roll.png

I think it was a buff looking bird with the buff tapering off to white. I would like to find out what color that is called /img/smilies/jumpy.gif

Okay, I have two Golden Comets. One has been consistently laying for a week. The other started a little later. She laid three eggs and has now skipped three days. Is this normal? I have thoroughly searched for hidden eggs, but haven't found any. Both have laid in the nest box (with the help of a golf ball) since day one. There is no indication of illness. She is eating, drinking, scratching. We have been a bit cool for August. Has anyone experienced this? This is my first year with chickens. I read a lot to try and stay informed. So I am pretty confident that she is not egg bound. I checked today and did not feel anything. Two of the three eggs she laid were double yolk.

Back
Top Bottom