Golden Cuckoo Marans Eggs - WA State - The stories

Hi Lisa,

We processed most of our culls this year and I have to give two thumbs up to the Marans. They grew out to wonderful size and are very tender. These chickens were free range except for 10 days at the end where we added some grain for finishing. Well the Marans were already so grown out that they really didn't need it and we processed them straight away. You will not be disappointed. And yes they have a wonderful flavor. Not bland like store bought chicken... that may have something to do with ranging them but seems to be more pronounced in the Marans then in the other breeds we put in the pot this year.

I am so excited to see the interest in the breed here... I hope we can all get together on this and help and encourage one another.

Oh and yes the chicks can be sexed at hatch. The males are very different with much yellow/gold on them, females much darker with red and chicks can look different one from another and stil grow out to nice adult birds but it can be a little scary....

I think that may be what happened with fowlsrus... he/she felt that the more yellow chicks were somehow defective... when actually they are cockerels...and only two cockerels out of the ten that hatched from the dozen... another weird thing we are seeing... many more pullets than cockerels, Oh, and it did turn out that they were mine... I didn't think there had been enough time yet for hatch.

One more thing... I do want folks to know that these, wheatens, whites, etc. do not lay the kinds of eggs you see pictures of on e-bay... those are Black Coppers only and only the very best birds and only at the beginning of the laying cycle. I have recieved Wade Jean birds that were a 5-6 just from being on the end of the cycle and will lay 8=9. I think 6-7-8 are the best eggs I have seen out of my birds and I am sure Don would agree. It still amazes me that I can post a picture of my eggs and then send someone darker eggs and have them say they were somehow not understanding that the eggs would not be candybar brown.... grrr!
OK I am rambling now, but I just love these chickens.

Last edited:
Oh Thank you for such good info! I love it! To be honest, I've never been able to eat any of my own chickens. We had the first bunch processed by a guy in Hellerton Pa, a few years ago. A friend bought them all from me and she made lots of soup. I hope to be able to actually eat some of the Roos we have now and in the future, some Marans meat. If anyone wants to lead me to a site so we can learn how to process them ourselves, I'll check into that.

I don't buy eggs to get the darkest brown colors. I buy them so I can have wonderful looking chicks and chickens. Also to have a color assortment of eggs in my refrigerator. I love to wow my friends and egg customers with all the varied colors...

I'm glad to hear about free ranging the Maran chickens. I keep all of ours penned up now, but am running out of room, and I think they'd love to run free when I can let them out...so maybe as soon as our snow and ice are gone for good, I'll open up the pen door and let them out...during the day anyways. I know our guineas are old enough to go out now.
Sorry to veer off topic here...
I'm always happy to learn more.
Lisa

Lisa I am 'killer instinct impaired' too. My first suggestion is do not process the ones you are going to eat yourself. Processing chickens is smelly and gross, period.

Instead have it done or do what I do... DH does the 'dirty work' outside and then brings them in where I wash, cut and wrap them. We did hundreds this was and I am able to eat them fine.

Sorry to go so off topic here...

Quote:
hey I like killing chickens it a social event
tongue.png
I looked like something out of Texas Chain saw massacre when I did it! I agree that Marans are huge and meaty and cockerals make great meat birds although I haven't processed or eaten mine as my Mom won't let me in the backyard
hmm.png
My Marans pullets and hens are very large breasted and meaty heavy birds.

nivtup, you don't happen to have Sebastopol eggs yet, do you? I'm going to want to find some to buy this Spring also.

bumping this....just so I don't lose it in the many pages of BST...
Also to remind me that I want to buy some of these eggs to be shipped next week. Nivtup, will they be ready for shipping next Monday? PM me, and I can send you details and $. And lastly, just wanted to see if you ever have Sebbie eggs for sale too.
Thanks
Lisa

Hi Don and Melissa!

I just found this thread and am glad you two are posting about the Golds. I have chicks from both of you along with some light Gold chicks from some of my Fitch-Ripley Cuckoos.

Melissa, I lost my little Roo from your line at about 2 weeks. I still have the pullett and she is doing well. I suspect she will have a boyfriend from one of Don's Roos, so I'll let you know how your lines cross.

I'll try and get some pics and post here and let you experts sex them for me.

Great thread! Please count me in on the Gold project!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Great to see you! Did you know that I wound up with 3 pullets and a cockerel from your eggs? That rocks!

On the Goldens: Watch the roos for too much white in the cuckoo. Try to pick nice combs (five points well defined) and good Marans body type. If you can band your cockerels at hatch for the ones from very darkest eggs I have heard that is the fastest way to better egg color. Of course the 8 egg I got my present breeding roo out of was laid by a hen that varries 6-8 so hope it really works.
big_smile.png

I think that is a great idea to hear expert facts and be able to promote a better breed in its standards, I think GCM are very beautiful.
I would love to be involved in this as well....I will actually!
I did want to ask though where do you buy leg bands? I am wanting to do the same for my new pekin ducklings that I am going to keep for later breeding but for my new Ameraucana and GCM chicks coming up as well...Thanks again Melissa for the eggs, I cant wait to hatch them all out!

Thank you guys for the great information!

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom