Good treats for baby chicks

Some of you might know that I recently hatched out 20 chicks. Now I'm lost on what to give them for treats, because I tried boiled mashed eggs and they seem to be turning their beaks up at it. I tried bits of grape, a bit of apple, and a bit of celery, but everything else... Well let's just say I'm not an expert on treats for these guys. The chicks are supposed to like the boiled eggs! I have chick grit, before you ask. But they don't like the eggs. Any "vegetarian" suggestions for treats for chicks?
Its been my experience, Feed a well balanced chick starter feed… We use medicated chick starter,
The chicks need nothing else until they go into the coop! Plenty fresh water and their starter feed, it’s like baby formula! it’s all they need!!!
it’s so tempting to feed treats! but actually it’s harmful to baby chicks 🐤

Its been my experience, Feed a well balanced chick starter feed… We use medicated chick starter,
The chicks need nothing else until they go into the coop! Plenty fresh water and their starter feed, it’s like baby formula! it’s all they need!!!
it’s so tempting to feed treats! but actually it’s harmful to baby chicks 🐤
Okay will do! I'll stick to boiled and scrambled eggs for treats :) 🐤

Maybe in a couple weeks, introduce some chick grit, and then you can try other stuff with them. With mine, I broke dried mealworms into thirds, or I had these treats called quack snacks from TSC that were easily broken apart. Honestly, my chicks didn't really like treats that much until they were maybe 6-8 weeks old.
x2. I find that chicks aren't all that interested in treats like adult birds would be, so for the most part I wouldn't bother. For training I use a few dried mealworms broken into pieces, like 1-2 per chick is plenty, just to help them get over their fear of human hands.

As far as the dirt question, if you can get a bag of peat moss with NO additives, or plain top soil (again no additives), those are suitable substitutes. Be warned that a dust bath indoors can be very messy! Soil from the yard would be preferable as it's obviously free, but also contains microbes and bacteria that will be present in the environment they're moving into, but if you're buried in snow that can't be helped.

x2. I find that chicks aren't all that interested in treats like adult birds would be, so for the most part I wouldn't bother. For training I use a few dried mealworms broken into pieces, like 1-2 per chick is plenty, just to help them get over their fear of human hands.

As far as the dirt question, if you can get a bag of peat moss with NO additives, or plain top soil (again no additives), those are suitable substitutes. Be warned that a dust bath indoors can be very messy! Soil from the yard would be preferable as it's obviously free, but also contains microbes and bacteria that will be present in the environment they're moving into, but if you're buried in snow that can't be helped.
The land here is mostly clay but I DO have some peat moss. (no additives.) thank y'all for your help.

Some of you might know that I recently hatched out 20 chicks. Now I'm lost on what to give them for treats, because I tried boiled mashed eggs and they seem to be turning their beaks up at it. I tried bits of grape, a bit of apple, and a bit of celery, but everything else... Well let's just say I'm not an expert on treats for these guys. The chicks are supposed to like the boiled eggs! I have chick grit, before you ask. But they don't like the eggs. Any "vegetarian" suggestions for treats for chicks?
I always put kitchen scraps out but for the younger ones, I put them through the food processor... pulse until they are small enough that I don't have to worry about choking. Oh, and my chicks are at least 3 weeks old before I do this.

Mine always loved crumbled cornbread!

Back
Top Bottom