Good treats for baby chicks

Thank you so much!
So I should also get a bag of grit and separate it from their food?
I’ve put their food in a tray because they LOVE to scratch, but they kick their food and wood shavings into their water even though I keep it elevated.
I’m constantly changing their water because within 5 minutes it’s filthy!
These are my first chicks so im a complete novice!
I’m afraid of them drinking dirty water, is it ok if they get their food and shavings into it, or should I continue to clean it constantly?

Kindly,
Amy

They don't need grit until they're eating things other than chick starter, but I start offering just a tiny bit of grit at the end of the first week.

I want them to learn what food is at the start and since they don't have a mother hen to instruct them I don't want them confused by having non-food items available in their earliest days.

I was taught to sprinkle their first grit on their food as if salting it lightly.

They're about a week old so I'll be starting on grit soon
So no grit when they’re brought home?
That's up to you. I always give them grit immediately becase the reality is they will eat things they shouldn't, such as their bedding.
Thank you. I‘m looking at grit that is formulated for chicks up to 8 weeks old. Smaller size than grit for older chicks. Does this sound right?

Thank you. I‘m looking at grit that is formulated for chicks up to 8 weeks old. Smaller size than grit for older chicks. Does this sound right?
Looks for grit in the smallest size here. You won't use much so don't bother buying a lot of it (I still use the grit I bought for my first batch of chicks around 7 yrs ago). At around 8 weeks or so (depending on size of chicks) they can migrate to the medium size.

grit2.png

Maybe rather than treats, give them something new in their area, or move things around. They will love to check new things out. I definitely would keep trying the hard boiled egg yolks, just the yolks. It is very good for them.

Looks for grit in the smallest size here. You won't use much so don't bother buying a lot of it (I still use the grit I bought for my first batch of chicks around 7 yrs ago). At around 8 weeks or so (depending on size of chicks) they can migrate to the medium size.

View attachment 3419323
Thank you! I looked at grit at our local L&M, but they only carried grower grit. Thinking of buying chick grit from Mile Four.

Thank you! I looked at grit at our local L&M, but they only carried grower grit. Thinking of buying chick grit from Mile Four.
You might be able to sift out chick size particles from the grower bag, some brands have more variance in particle sizes. Just compare them to the illustration I posted above to know if you're finding the right sizes.

They don't need grit until they're eating things other than chick starter, but I start offering just a tiny bit of grit at the end of the first week.

I want them to learn what food is at the start and since they don't have a mother hen to instruct them I don't want them confused by having non-food items available in their earliest days.

I was taught to sprinkle their first grit on their food as if salting it lightly.
Thank you so much my friend!! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom