GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Aw, so cute!! I love the pictures!! I'm still on goose watch to see if any of ours hatch. It's been really fun watching how the geese take turns with the nest- even the males. I didn't realize that they did that, but it seems like everyone has a turn, and they really take their job seriously.

Aw, so cute!! I love the pictures!! I'm still on goose watch to see if any of ours hatch. It's been really fun watching how the geese take turns with the nest- even the males. I didn't realize that they did that, but it seems like everyone has a turn, and they really take their job seriously.

I wish I could see my gander sit on the nest

I have a pair of Tufted Roam geese,Gerald and Geraldine. Geraldine has just started sitting on her eggs at last! She started laying in February and only finished last week. We have hatched 5 out of 7 eggs that we removed and put in the incubator. Yesterday when she came off the nest to feed I candled the remaining 19 eggs and took away 12 that I thought looked infertile. It was a good shout as some exploded on breaking (not a pleasant experience!), some were just mush, and some were clearly infertile (the dog enjoyed them!). We had previously eaten 4 eggs, and she had pushed 1 out of the nest in March, so altogether she layed 31 eggs!

I have a pair of Tufted Roam geese,Gerald and Geraldine. Geraldine has  just started sitting on her eggs at last! She started laying in February and only finished last week. We have hatched 5 out of 7 eggs that we removed and put in the incubator.  Yesterday when she came off the nest to feed I candled the remaining 19 eggs and took away 12 that I thought looked infertile. It was a good shout as some exploded on breaking (not a pleasant experience!), some were just mush, and some were clearly infertile (the dog enjoyed them!). We had previously eaten 4 eggs, and she had pushed 1 out of the nest in March, so altogether she layed 31 eggs!
Wow! Ur lucky to have gotten 31 eggs of one hen! Plus tufted Romans are rare! Incubate them suckers and sell the babies lol

This is Gerald. Can someone please confirm if he is a Roman Tufted Goose please.

If he is, how rare is he? Are they just rare in the US? I live in Hungary and he has a mate Geraldine who laid 31 eggs this year!

I have successfully hatched 5 in my incubator.

This is Gerald. Can someone please confirm if he is a Roman Tufted Goose please.

If he is, how rare is he? Are they just rare in the US? I live in Hungary and he has a mate Geraldine who laid 31 eggs this year!

I have successfully hatched 5 in my incubator.
Could be a Roman Tufted but the neck is longer that those that I have seen. He may just be stretching out however. Have you noticed if the tuft is just feathers or an actual crest with extra skin? Tufted Roman will not have the extra skin, just feathers standing upright.

In the US they are currently classified as Critical which means the number of breeding pairs is low. They do make good mothers so if you even get a 50% hatch rate (assumind Geraldine would want to sit on that many eggs) you could corner the market.

This is Gerald. Can someone please confirm if he is a Roman Tufted Goose plea If he is, how rare is he? Are they just rare in the US? I live in Hungary and he has a mate Geraldine who laid 31 eggs this year! I have successfully hatched 5 in my incubator.
Good looking goose, either way.

Last edited:
It looks to be a Tufted roman. If it is a cross it has very little of the other breed in it. He looks to me as if he is one that didnt get a big enough tuft in his genectics. Here is mine which looks just like him, he was pure tufted but his tuft wasnt huge, however his offspring, with his mate that was the same way, all had huge tufts. The gosling with him is not his or even the same breed.

Yes, they do look the same don't they.

It will be interesting to see what their goslings come out like. I'll take some photos of them tomorrow as they are starting to get their tufts now too.

Gerald has a very distinct personality. He loves me most of the time, but as Geraldine is sitting on eggs at the moment he does like me going in to their barn to get to the chicken food. As soon as I'm out of there he follows me around waiting for me to fuss him.

I really like him but my partner has "issues" with him!

Back
Top Bottom