Got a suggestion for super-quiet hens in a small-lot suburb?

Maybe try quail?
That is an awesome idea. I expect nothing from the neighbors, but -- quail hens are just kind of warbly, right, not cluck-and-bawky? (It's been a while.) And you get such tasty, pretty little eggs. Nice for kids, too. Gosh, I sort of want some myself, now. I wonder -- again, just thinking about the ordinance -- whether councilors who're dreamy about chickens might consider that for small lots in town.

...a few youtube stops later, it doesn't really sound like they're any more nuisance soundwise than wild suburban birds -- jays, starlings, etc. Bit less actually.

Thanks for the idea. If others have dire warnings about quail hens, please, drop 'em here, before I go talk to people.

That is an awesome idea. I expect nothing from the neighbors, but -- quail hens are just kind of warbly, right, not cluck-and-bawky? (It's been a while.) And you get such tasty, pretty little eggs. Nice for kids, too. Gosh, I sort of want some myself, now. I wonder -- again, just thinking about the ordinance -- whether councilors who're dreamy about chickens might consider that for small lots in town.

...a few youtube stops later, it doesn't really sound like they're any more nuisance soundwise than wild suburban birds -- jays, starlings, etc. Bit less actually.

Thanks for the idea. If others have dire warnings about quail hens, please, drop 'em here, before I go talk to people.

Quail HENS aren’t very noisy. But more than 1 male in with the girls? Very noisy. If they hatch eggs and get males - they will be noisy. But the quail hens are not. We had several cages in our garage. Some males- only 1 male per cage. Some days they were a bit noisier. But, the cage of hatched quail got very noisy bc all together, many males. I could hear them far into my house, through the metal fire door that led into garage. But, generally, quail should be much quieter. They also require less space.

Good luck.

All parrots and some dogs make more noise than a hen. Someone buying a parrot or dog is not expected to ask permission.

People adapt and chicken cackle soon becomes background noise that is hardly noticed. Peafpwl, guinea fowl and rap music.... that's another story.
I live on a hill at least a couple hundred feet from my brothers office and still hear his cockatoo with his door closed.

I can see that line of thought, but I doubt the 3-6 of a typical suburban flock would be near as loud as my 23. Just putting that out there for consideration.
6 hens cackling and quarreling over the same nest box would be very annoying to a day sleeper 20 foot away.I know because I have 6 and do sleep some days.

I honestly don’t have quail lol. My friend does any I think they’re pretty quiet but 🤷🏼‍♀️. They sure are cute though! He eats the males. But the hens are adorable and so are their eggs.

I wouldn't recommend quail instead of chickens to these neighbors. Nothing about the quail but good fences make good neighbors aka least said, soonest mended aka don't ask for trouble aka mind your own business... none of which quite fit but maybe together get the concept across.

If they think of quail and ask, then maybe.

They sound too much like give an inch, take a mile kind of people. You might be thinking, I can stretch to tolerate a few quail hens to be a good neighbor. They might be thinking, she (or he) said quail are okay - we can get however many of either kind. Or start out with some chicks and not be able to do anything with the males. Or....

We raised Coturnix Quail, Butler Quail, Bobwhites and Snowflakes too … it’s not the Quail ladies who sound of, it’s the lil men!

Coturnix start laying at 6 weeks (need 4-5 Coturnix eggs to equal a chicken egg) They are easy to tame but keeping them in a walk-in Aviary with a screaming child in the neighborhood will result in many many injured or dead Birds … they can never be free-ranged but the females are quiet!

Bobwhites mature at a much later date, as do Butlers but the females are quiet too! … I’ve never had a Bobwhite or Butler who cared to be handled 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom