Growing a tomato plant inside my house-- help me make this successful

I did the wasps for a couple years, adding a monthly package spring to fall per the number of horses I had. Not a noticeable difference.

THen I got into chickens---almost no fly problem now. My chickens free range and are busy around the horse pens and sheep pens.

THe transplanted tomatos started turning a bit yellow, and a few leaves have dried out on 2 plants, yet the rest of the plant is well hydrated . . . . .

. . . my solution was to use a liquid fertilizer. At full strength of 1 tsp per gallon of water which is to be used every two weeks. Now that I have u sed about 1 cup of that full strength I"m rethinking the every two weeks. Would really rather water with a weak solution. The packaging recommenend 1/4 tsp per gallon. GUess that is a 1:3 dilution. RIGHT??

THen I started to think too much-- how much water should a plant need a week? DOes the 1" rule for an outside garden hold true for a potted plant??

Also I started about 20 other tomato varieties and 2 chile pepper varieties. To go OUTSIDE, lol. Hoping to give away a few plants to friends-- would really like to see more people gardening. What do you do to pull friends and neighbors into gardening??

THe transplanted tomatos started turning a bit yellow, and a few leaves have dried out on 2 plants, yet the rest of the plant is well hydrated . . . . .

. . . my solution was to use a liquid fertilizer. At full strength of 1 tsp per gallon of water which is to be used every two weeks. Now that I have u sed about 1 cup of that full strength I"m rethinking the every two weeks. Would really rather water with a weak solution. The packaging recommenend 1/4 tsp per gallon. GUess that is a 1:3 dilution. RIGHT??

THen I started to think too much-- how much water should a plant need a week? DOes the 1" rule for an outside garden hold true for a potted plant??

Also I started about 20 other tomato varieties and 2 chile pepper varieties. To go OUTSIDE, lol. Hoping to give away a few plants to friends-- would really like to see more people gardening. What do you do to pull friends and neighbors into gardening??
Yes, the 1 inch holds for both... A little each keeps soil and plants from drying out. You can also water from below...set pots into an inch of water and they will soak up the water.

I did leave 1/2 inch of head space for watering, but the soil still gets splashed around. Will try the watering from the bottom!!
That means the soil does not hold the moisture well and is becoming too dry between watering or the soil is too loose (won't support the plant). That's why I always mix my soils with water before using them so it doesn't float like that, too much organics does the same thing.

I remembered the need to have the medium pack around the stem and roots, and the importance of watering thoroughly. . . . so I too like to work with medium that is well saturated with water before repotting. IT is also one of the tips I remember working with my mother when she repotted all her seedlings.

The yellow is already fading away to green!!!!
celebrate.gif

So I poured more fertilizer water in the bottom-- and realized, I can't let the pot sit in water all the time as it will be soaking wet( the soil that is). What ever is not absorbed by tomorrow I will pour off.

Yesterday afternoon I poured off all the water from the containers under the tomato pots-- and saved it as it was good fertilizer water.

Leaves on plant #2 are continuing to wilt. I can only wait and see. THese are the oldest leaves only. THe newest leaves look great = growing, bright green, erect. If anyone has a thought----

Yesterday afternoon I poured off all the water from the containers under the tomato pots-- and saved it as it was good fertilizer water.

Leaves on plant #2 are continuing to wilt. I can only wait and see. THese are the oldest leaves only. THe newest leaves look great = growing, bright green, erect. If anyone has a thought----
Hi, Arielle, about now would be a good time to post some close-up pics. Are these leaves attached at the lowest part of the plant? Are they single leaves or are they on a branch? If they are single and all other new growth looks good... then this sounds normal as the primary leaves will die, just cut these off.

How long did the plants set in the water? When I water from below, I only leave them in for 30 mins to an hour. Then dump off the excess. Tomatoes prefer water from above.

I would toss the fert water and not save it, liquid fert breaks down rapidly and some turn toxic after a while because of light and thermal breakdown. Remember, too much fert is a bad thing. I would really like to see some pics of your jungle bathroom. lol

Hi, Arielle, about now would be a good time to post some close-up pics. Are these leaves attached at the lowest part of the plant? Are they single leaves or are they on a branch? If they are single and all other new growth looks good... then this sounds normal as the primary leaves will die, just cut these off.

How long did the plants set in the water? When I water from below, I only leave them in for 30 mins to an hour. Then dump off the excess. Tomatoes prefer water from above.

I would toss the fert water and not save it, liquid fert breaks down rapidly and some turn toxic after a while because of light and thermal breakdown. Remember, too much fert is a bad thing. I would really like to see some pics of your jungle bathroom. lol

yep a pic!! I was thinking the same thing that what you are describing is normal for a tomato.

Will see what I can do for a pic later tonight-- not exactly tech savy here. lol

I looked at the plants a few minutes ago. 3 out of 4 are showing wilted curled leaves. Not good. THe soil is not as soggy as last night which is good.

It is not just the bottom leaves. Hoping and praying here.

I mixed up a whole gal.
hmm.png
At 1 tsp per gal which is every other week watering. 1/4 tsp per gal is for regular watering rates = whatever that means.

No wonder folks prefer the grocery store!! lol

Back
Top Bottom