Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... No broody!!! :( :( :( :( Help!

ChickenKid11

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
So I posted a thread earlier about how to get a broody and the method they suggested that I put golf balls in the nests to see if one will take. I put enough golf balls but no broody. What else can I do?
Thanks!

Ok, but is there a faster method because I need a broody quite soon, but I will giver her time!
smile.png

When i was younger I was so frustrated. I couldn't get my girl to sit. Well a year later we moved and we had a tiny dog house, she went in their in May and started sitting. She wouldn't come out, it just...well, happened.

I think you can't force them, believe me I tried. Put more stuff in coop, made parts of it darker. They won't unless they want to. Some jerks bred it out of a lot of breeds. I feel sorry for the birds who are permaneantly over weight.

Back to the subject lol, I think the best luck is to try and get ahold of a silkie. Thats way way cheaper than an incubator. One of my Australorp hens is suddenly broody, and this is quite a wonderful surprise, I hope she keeps it up! :)

Good luck to you. ^_^

For the most part they are on their own, when it comes to becoming broody. This year I have been having fits with TOO MANY broodies. Even my Seabrights are trying to set. The breed other than a silkie that has been most reliable/predictable is bantam cochins. They go broody several times a year and are fantastic mothers....I have blues, buffs, golden laced, black and birchen varieties and they are all great, but my birchens seem to be the best. They stay broody and would set year round if I would let them.

Good luck to you!

Here, I'll give you one of mine- I have three bratty, stubborn broody hens!
Some breeds are just more likely to go broody than others- Also, they tend to go broody as they get older, but that isn't true for every hen.

You can't force them. Nature will take it's course when they are ready.

I currently have a broody welsummer, and they are not a broody breed. Hope she'll be a good mother.

i noe the way to speed the process up
let the deisred broody hen select her own nest
i dont how try not to allow any other hen to lay in the nest wait for her to lay 12 eggs and then keep removing the extra eggs eventually before she molts or when she feel like ti she will sit
btu try not to be near the new nest and make sure its secure and dark sot hats he is comfortable this worked with my isa brown which dont go broody and my red sexlink and i find that free ranging helps

Back
Top Bottom