Hamburg thread!

Pics
Congratulations! They are very pretty eggs, aren't they? That ones a beauty!
Thank you and they are indeed!

Our girls must be about the same age :-D Congratulations!!!

Love all the beautiful colors!!! I'm jealous! I've already warned hubby that I will be added green and blue layers to our flock ;-)
They must be close; Amelia is around 26 weeks/6 months (give or take a week). I was happy to read Bernadette is also using her nesting box. I saw her standing in the nesting box a few days ago which was the first time I'd ever seen her have any interest in it but as soon as she saw me she got out of it and I hadn't seen her in it since. I was afraid that she would decide to find a more secluded place after that so I've waited to let them out to free range until later in the mornings since that day but my daughter and I have been on the lookout for hidden nests for the past couple of weeks because she's taken to hiding in the undergrowth though she does come when I call her or any time she sees me.

I have to say, although hamburgs are described as being quite standoffish with humans, she's by far the most curious of my flock and I can't go far without her rushing over to see what I'm up to. She's a bit of a loner and if she finds the kitchen door open, she and sometimes the pullet that's she's closest to are quick to come in and visit but where the other will leave when she doesn't find treats, Amelia will pick a spot near me to groom herself and then lay right down for a nap if I don't shoo her out. Not that I want chickens in my house on a regular basis but I kind of really love that she does this.

This is typical of her and her curiosity about me and whatever I'm doing:

The blue/green eggs are fun and I love having the color variations. We haven't dyed Easter eggs in years because they're so pretty just as they are but we will glue little ribbons to them to hang on them on our Easter trees. I have one more pullet who won't be ready to lay until mid-late fall. Her mother was a Maran (dark chocolaty brown egg layers) and her father was an EE so it's a mystery as to what color hers will be. I'm actually hoping for the chocolaty eggs but either way she will not disappoint!

Hey y'all. I have Golden Penciled Hamburgs (in Birmingham, AL). . . maybe even a few too many. (11) Mine came from MurrayMcMurray. Any other Alabama Hamburg folks out there?

Naomi

Hey y'all. I have Golden Penciled Hamburgs (in Birmingham, AL). . . maybe even a few too many. (11) Mine came from MurrayMcMurray. Any other Alabama Hamburg folks out there?

Naomi

Can you share photos of yours? I have the same...but from Cackle.

This is a horrid photo....I need to go out and take better ones.

Pretty! How old is your rooster? He is so definitely a rooster that I'm thinking I may have all hens! (Mine came early June.)

Last edited:
Pretty! How old is your rooster? He is so definitely a rooster that I'm thinking I may have all hens! (Mine came early June.)

April 28th-ish is their hatch date.

Now I can't remember when the feathers were clearly different. However, the comb pinked up LATE on the girls and much earlier on the boys. Actually, the girls have been getting pinker only in the last week or so.

Here's another pic--of another chicken. I'm not very good at taking chicken pictures. They just move so much!

Back
Top Bottom