Hands on hatching and help

Awww man, I made a boo boo. Hen abandoned nest after 8 of 12 eggs hatched. Brought 4 unhatched eggs inside cause I knew at least one had a live baby (chick had pipped) did a successful semi assisted hatch, no blood in membrane, chick a little weak but snuck him under mama and he's getting along pretty good today.
Two of the three remaining eggs were bad (one rotten, one stopped development around day 10) the last one I poked into the wide end (it was day TWENTY SIX!) and discovered live chick :(
Let her sit until this afternoon and decided that since I don't have a proper brooder and her membrane was getting dried out, it was time. I removed the top and she pushed out, her yolk was drawn up into her, but there was what looked like a blood clot in the shell. She'll lift her head and lurches around, she can right herself if she tumbles onto her back, but she's not running around by any means. We've given her some sugar water and she does tip her head back when we dip her beak. Is there anything else I can/should do?
I really thought she was dead or I would have left her alone to hatch, now I feel terrible :(

Is there an emoticon for cry? :'( I ordered 8 silkie-americauna eggs and today was hatching day. Out of 9 eggs received, only 1 made it and I just had to go in and rescue it after being internally pipped for over 24 hrs. Its chirp was getting weaker and I was worried. It was malpositioned with its beak over its right wing and it has cross beak. I think, despite the sellers wonderful packaging and all the other prior customers who raved about her eggs...I had a very unlucky shipment. 1 was clear and 2 scrambled at 7 days. 2 more stopped developing at about day 10. Another stopped developing some time after day 15, I estimate. 3 went into lockdown. 2 DIS yesterday (I did not eggtopsy. I was too disappointed) and last one is now likely not going to make it. Im so upset.

Well, its time to crank up the humidity! And I'm not talking about the weather! :D it's more than plenty humid outside, but its time to crank it up in the bator this afternoon! I think I may have one quitter, and a couple that I'm afraid are gonna be sticky, but after all my broody hatches, I'm excited to see some in the bator again. :yiipchick

Yay!! Good luck on the hatch!!

Lol, are you subscribed to the auction threads here? There are good deals that get me in trouble a lot, lol.

Good luck @WVduckchick! I have to lock down my pinto guinea eggs today too, thanks for the reminder :p

My pied guinea eggs already shipped! That was quick!

I was going to ask for links on the auction threads but you guys are on top of it!! :)
See, now I think that's shady.  He should be disclosing that in his ad.

Good luck!!!

And it ate half your reply which was to me! I do want to, they are getting older each day...maybe tomorrow! And that's crazy about the eggs because how would you measure air cells on the 28 dayers if you don't know which ones they are!!

Awww man, I made a boo boo. Hen abandoned nest after 8 of 12 eggs hatched. Brought 4 unhatched eggs inside cause I knew at least one had a live baby (chick had pipped) did a successful semi assisted hatch, no blood in membrane, chick a little weak but snuck him under mama and he's getting along pretty good today.
Two of the three remaining eggs were bad (one rotten, one stopped development around day 10) the last one I poked into the wide end (it was day TWENTY SIX!) and discovered live chick :(
Let her sit until this afternoon and decided that since I don't have a proper brooder and her membrane was getting dried out, it was time. I removed the top and she pushed out, her yolk was drawn up into her, but there was what looked like a blood clot in the shell. She'll lift her head and lurches around, she can right herself if she tumbles onto her back, but she's not running around by any means. We've given her some sugar water and she does tip her head back when we dip her beak. Is there anything else I can/should do?
I really thought she was dead or I would have left her alone to hatch, now I feel terrible :(

I don't think you caused any of the issues. The blood clot was from the chick pipping in the pointy end. You didn't know what issues the chick had and you gave it a chance in case it was a perfectly healthy chick in that egg. :hugs
Is there an emoticon for cry? :'( I ordered 8 silkie-americauna eggs and today was hatching day. Out of 9 eggs received, only 1 made it and I just had to go in and rescue it after being internally pipped for over 24 hrs. Its chirp was getting weaker and I was worried. It was malpositioned with its beak over its right wing and it has cross beak. I think, despite the sellers wonderful packaging and all the other prior customers who raved about her eggs...I had a very unlucky shipment. 1 was clear and 2 scrambled at 7 days. 2 more stopped developing at about day 10. Another stopped developing some time after day 15, I estimate. 3 went into lockdown. 2 DIS yesterday (I did not eggtopsy. I was too disappointed) and last one is now likely not going to make it. Im so upset.

Sorry to hear that. I had once really wanted these eggs from Florida and there were lots of comments on the breeders FB page about people getting good hatches. They were a total bust for me....and I tried twice with only 2 chicks at the end to show for it. You never know how your package will be handled.

Hey guys my white leghorn and polish bantam were mating and even though I wasn't going too I'm thinking about setting a few eggs. I just think that would be a fun mic to keep around lol. I've never set my own eggs before. How long after breeding will they be fertile? When should I set them? Thanks. :)

...Sigh I know how you feel. So sorry.

Hey guys my white leghorn and polish bantam were mating and even though I wasn't going too I'm thinking about setting a few eggs. I just think that would be a fun mic to keep around lol. I've never set my own eggs before. How long after breeding will they be fertile? When should I set them? Thanks. :)

Crack one open tomorrow and check for a bullseye :) Should take only day or two for them to be fertile - and now that they've mated they can be fertile for one mating for up to three weeks (or five apparently in the case of my super rooster).

Crack one open tomorrow and check for a bullseye :) Should take only day or two for them to be fertile - and now that they've mated they can be fertile for one mating for up to three weeks (or five apparently in the case of my super rooster).

Yay. I'm super excited. I'll check tomorrow. It's a good thing it last so long cause I don't think she will let it happen again haha.. :p

Back
Top Bottom