Hands on hatching and help

Here is the malpo. The bruise on the shell is where it tried to pip:
Hope it externally pips OK..
Sorry about your malpo Kathy, good luck with it! So I've got eight Calls out, all assisted. One malpo is still hanging in there. The deformed one died, but it was never going to make it. Its top beak hadn't really formed at all, it was just a stub, and its brain was growing outside its head. I'm actually pretty glad it died before hatch so I didn't have to put the poor thing down.
Definitely good it passed on its own. That couldnt have ended well. Sorry though. Doesn't make it easier. Looks good so far.. Fingers crossed.

I think half of my Muscovy eggs have their feet over their heads!
barnie.gif

I am new to BYC.This is my first post. Have duck eggs day 26. My electric went off during the night. I can hear peeping and cracking. I moved the incubator to my car. Temp was down to 77 degrees. This is my first attempt at hatching eggs. Is there any hope for my little guys.I now have the temp back to 98. When the electric comes back on they will have to be moved back to the house.

Last edited:
So I have another question! Right now I am incubating at 50-55% humidity to keep my air cells growing slowly. When it comes time for lockdown and hatching...do I need to up the humidity more than 50-55% at that time? Right now I have all water trays filled to keep the humidity up, so....if I do need to raise humidity, how will I do that? Not due to hatch for 10 more days, but I am a planner..LOL! Thanks!
I would want it at least 65% I use wet sponges in my bator. Adds humidity and is easy to pull them out and re-wet them if it needs a push.
So here are the early birds lol 2 Narrangansett babies
Yay!
In your case yes get it up to 65 % or higher . I wait till I have pips to raise the humidity . When they start to zip the humidity will rise . Don't over do it and fog the viewing windows . And you might think about stopping turning and locking down a day or two early. IT gives the hatchling a little more time to get in position . If incubation has been perfect it might not be necessary. Know anybody who hasn't had some little hiccup in incubation ?
I stop turning day 14 on every hatch. Technically I stop at the end of 13 and leave them be from 14 on except for candling and marking air cells.it could be coincidence, but ever since I switched to this I have not had malpositioned (knock on wood) except the two jumbo eggs I was stupid enough to set with the little silkie eggs from Ruby and they didn't loose enough moisture, grew too big and didn't turn...but that was totally my fault.
Will do! On one of my eggs today, I noticed it had a REALLY wonky air cell.....all along the side of the egg and BIG:/ It is developing and I could see movement, but will that one make it to hatch or quit before?
I don't give up until they quit.
I think half of my Muscovy eggs have their feet over their heads!
Dang!

Last edited:
I am new to BYC.This is my first post. Have duck eggs day 26. My electric went off during the night. I can hear peeping and cracking. I moved the incubator to my car. Temp was down to 77 degrees. This is my first attempt at hatching eggs. Is there any hope for my little guys.

:welcome
Yes, plenty of hope. Has your electric came back on? Have you been able to get temps back up?

Temp is back up to 98.When the electric comes back on they will have to be moved again. 3 of the 9 eggs have cracks where they ducklings are trying to break through.

FINAL UPDATE.....Well the Easter Hatch has ended! We wound up with 15 Light Braham chicks 1 NH Red and 2 that have chipmunk markings!! The last 3 were eggs from a backyard mixed flock - the Light Brahma's were kept by themselves. Had to assist at least 6 of them but they are all up and running doing well. It was very nerve racking and the stress level was through the roof but it paid off! I know this is a hands on hatching page/group but all 18 chicks are available for purchase. No Shipping. No Meeting. I will find the other thread to post more info about them. THANK YOU again! HAPPY EASTER everyone!

Temp is back up to 98.When the electric comes back on they will have to be moved again. 3 of the 9 eggs have cracks where they ducklings are trying to break through.

That's great! All of our duck hatchers here say it can take twice as long for ducks to progress than chicks, so don't get too freaked if it takes between 24/48 hours for them to progress. Good luck on the hatch!

FINAL UPDATE.....Well the Easter Hatch has ended! We wound up with 15 Light Braham chicks 1 NH Red and 2 that have chipmunk markings!! The last 3 were eggs from a backyard mixed flock - the Light Brahma's were kept by themselves. Had to assist at least 6 of them but they are all up and running doing well. It was very nerve racking and the stress level was through the roof but it paid off! I know this is a hands on hatching page/group but all 18 chicks are available for purchase. No Shipping. No Meeting. I will find the other thread to post more info about them. THANK YOU again! HAPPY EASTER everyone!
Awesome! Congrats! Happy Easter to you too!
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom