Has anyone used this hatchery?

Oh sorry, yes Chickensforbackyards, what you originally asked about. Exciting! Hopefully everything will go well with the little chicks. I will definitely post an update when they arrive. What kinds did you order? I am getting a Golden Laced Wyandotte, a Black Australorp, a White Plymouth Rock, and an Ameraucana.

I ordered three Barred Rocks and three Black Australorps.

Where is Privett Hatchery? They sound like a good outfit. Does their website not work like it won't load or you just can't make orders from it? Have fun with your little peepers! 

~chickenchick

Privetts located in Portales NM. I went online and googled their order list. Found one for 2015. Decided what I wanted and gave them a call. I got 28 sent, one DOA and 2 more having some problems recovering.
RIRs, Buff Orpingtons, white leghorns, cuckoo marans... All so cute!

i use Ideal Poultry in Texas as i one of the closest hatcheries to me and chicks i order are normally here the day after shipping(say shipped out on wedneday they arrive thursday) and chicks are always bright perky and active...they do send 'packing peanuts'(surplus male chicks) to help keep your order warm if it going to be chilly when their being shipped which is nice but wish it was roos they used

OK - update, I changed the order from three BA and three BR to this - two barred rocks, two black australorps and two speckled Sussexes.

Still ... waiting for the chicks to be shipped ... not due until the middle of February - its killing me.

I just ordered 5 females from Meyer hatchery. First time I've used them so I can't comment on them other than they only charge 1 dollar for Mareks vaccine and have reasonable shipping costs. However my hatch date is April 12. it's best to wait for that small of a order so the birds don't get too cold in shipping. I can say they have a wonderful selection of birds and breeds at great prices for females.

I have used backyard chickens hatchery a lot! I love them except for their prices. They give you very healthy chicks, are true to breed, and most of the time get the sex right.
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree with realsis, I really like Meyer Hatchery. Cheap prices and I've ordered meat chicks once and they give you a few extra on big orders. I ordered rare breed last year and loved how many different varieties (9) I got out of 16 pullets, but I did get a roo by accident: we kept him anyway!

I always use Ideal poultry I only had one DOA and were offered a refund or replacement. I actually like the extra males I usually have no problem selling them when they grow up and at least they got a chance to live as chickens.

Back
Top Bottom