Has anyone "won" and gotten their HOA to change a rule about chickens?

mummachix

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
I got chickens, had them quietly for a year; then added a bummer lamb for 6 weeks. Lizzie got loud. Nosy neighbor from two streets away lied and said my next door neighbor complained about my "goats and chickens" -- no he just didn't have the huevos to complain himself...

At anyrate I thought poultry was not included in the ban on "livestock" - that is was just the lamb that was the issue (and hello she was due to go home in 3 days anyway... NO DICE, gone in 24 hours or we take you to court luckily there are no fines, but unluckily they use our dues to go straight to court and get a lien on your home... there goes your ability to sell, your credit rating, blah blah blah...

So I read and reread and found a clause that said that if the by-laws or agreements made under said by-laws were in irreconcilable difference with the city, that the city's ordinance wins. So I informed that of the fact that the city actually purposefully removed all restrictions agains agriculture and farming back in 2004 and updated the City Laws to reflect that in 2010. Thus we were at irreconcilable difference and the City rule allows chickens, thanks.

Was then handed a letter threatening a lien.

I have yet to bring this to a property lawyer, but will bc the wording is so vague no one can figure out if it means anything or not -- and all the kinds of things that would matter to homeowner's values, like home colors, RVs parked in the roadways, etc. aren't even in these idiot rules. And the required 3 person Architecture Committee doesn't even exist... for added construction...

So to fight I need to get 30% of the homeowners to say yes we need a meeting to discuss the CC&Rs and then offer up changes (like all windows must be covered with draperies made of drapery fabric and hung on drapery rods... ***? everyone - including the board has mini blinds and such... zero drapes!) so I've written up a change to the livestock law to allow 4 hens, no roosters, per quarter acre, must be housed properly, food must be kept in galvanized tins (not saying this but to keep rodents away!) and waste be properly composted or disposed of so there is no smell.

but 75% of the owners have to agree with that change.

additionally I'd like to add rabbits and other small animals as defined by 4H since the City is a self stated, council upheld Agricultural community.... not a city suburb.... and it's only 45 lots. 14 houses have to agree, and 34 have to say yes to chickens... I know of 4 who are against me. 2 are sales and unless they close soon all absences or failure to vote = a no vote. That's 5 houses in play if I can get the entire freakin' membership to even care... I can do a "mail in ballot" - eg. walk from house to house and get them to sign a form... giving their yes vote proxy by signature to me to turn in at the meeting. Harder to say no to a lady and her cute 10 yo that wants to show chickens at 4H as part of her schooling??? help.

Sooooooooooo my question is, has anyone ever fought an HOA and won? if so how??? suggestions on wording, suggestions on answering questions at a meeting if I can even get that to happen.... anyone? anyone? buehller?

Last edited:
WOw what a mess some places are just crazy in this world I have a neighbor who don't like my chickens so I will be haven a fence put up to prevent wondering best of luck to you keep us posted. ..

I am fighting an Association of 19 neighbors - 5 homes open for sale. Our daughter wants to raise a few hens for her FFA project. Got shot down since we didn't have 10 positive votes. Well, last try here, I asked for a permit for said chickens with a $100 fee per year for the priviledge for keeping chicken in our backyard - no wandering, etc. I'll let everyone know how it goes, but if April14th comes, we will lose our chicks at the Feed Store. Bummer.

Last edited:
wishing you luck! I will be thinking of you for sure...

we just took our chickens and their coop/tractor and gave them to a friend yesterday bc all hope is lost for this year and they were too big to keep in the house any longer...

I'm so sorry that you lost your birds; I'm afraid we are going that way too. Julie

hugs... I'm researching what to add to my "request for an all memeber meeting to amend and update the CCR's" debating also whether I shall send it out to all parties or just the board.... the weirdness of neighborhood politics is a treacherous fine line...
a

First, have you looked at your state laws? Many CC&Rs were written years ago allowing HOA's to place liens on homes or to even foreclose for fines owed or rules broken. And at least some states have changed their statutes to disallow leins or foreclosure based upon broken rules or unpaid fines. That said, unless your CC&Rs defines livestock, or in some other part of the document refers to livestock AND poultry (or something similar), a judge could reasonably rule that poultry is included as livestock. As for the CC&R change about irreconcilable differences with city ordinances, and the city's change to allow poultry, it probably depends on exactly how it is worded. If the city simply has no restrictions, it is not a guaranteed right. If the city says all residents have the right to own poultry, it is likely another matter.

As an individual, you cannot hold an election for your HOA. IFF you get a certain percentage of your neighbors to agree, you can force the HOA to hold an election, but how ballots are sent and received is up to the board, your governing documents and your state statutes. Some states do not allow proxy votes.

Thnaks for your reply -- yes I've looked into the different points you bring up... sadly the city simply removed all wording regarding restrictions rather than state the allowability - thus the HOA wins there. I can personally ask the HOA to hold a meeting (and since everyone is violating the rule about draperies, see my first post) they have to hold one based on that alone. The by-laws state the percentage (30) that have to then agree to a meeting and (75) that have to agree to each proposed change... it also provides for proxy voting.

HOAs are like little totalitarian regimes and middle school cliques rolled into one and I shall NEVER knowingly buy a home that is under the rule of one ever again.

wish me luck ---

a

Good luck, but realize that there are some HOAs that aren't like that. My HOA's CC&Rs allowed proxy voting, but the state did not. We changed our CC&Rs to reflect state law, but it is possible of CC&Rs have not been updated that not aspects of them are legal due to changes in state laws.

I got chickens, had them quietly for a year; then added a bummer lamb for 6 weeks. Lizzie got loud. Nosy neighbor from two streets away lied and said my next door neighbor complained about my "goats and chickens" -- no he just didn't have the huevos to complain himself...

At anyrate I thought poultry was not included in the ban on "livestock" - that is was just the lamb that was the issue (and hello she was due to go home in 3 days anyway... NO DICE, gone in 24 hours or we take you to court luckily there are no fines, but unluckily they use our dues to go straight to court and get a lien on your home... there goes your ability to sell, your credit rating, blah blah blah...

So I read and reread and found a clause that said that if the by-laws or agreements made under said by-laws were in irreconcilable difference with the city, that the city's ordinance wins. So I informed that of the fact that the city actually purposefully removed all restrictions agains agriculture and farming back in 2004 and updated the City Laws to reflect that in 2010. Thus we were at irreconcilable difference and the City rule allows chickens, thanks.

Was then handed a letter threatening a lien.

I have yet to bring this to a property lawyer, but will bc the wording is so vague no one can figure out if it means anything or not -- and all the kinds of things that would matter to homeowner's values, like home colors, RVs parked in the roadways, etc. aren't even in these idiot rules. And the required 3 person Architecture Committee doesn't even exist... for added construction...

So to fight I need to get 30% of the homeowners to say yes we need a meeting to discuss the CC&Rs and then offer up changes (like all windows must be covered with draperies made of drapery fabric and hung on drapery rods... ***? everyone - including the board has mini blinds and such... zero drapes!) so I've written up a change to the livestock law to allow 4 hens, no roosters, per quarter acre, must be housed properly, food must be kept in galvanized tins (not saying this but to keep rodents away!) and waste be properly composted or disposed of so there is no smell.

but 75% of the owners have to agree with that change.

additionally I'd like to add rabbits and other small animals as defined by 4H since the City is a self stated, council upheld Agricultural community.... not a city suburb.... and it's only 45 lots. 14 houses have to agree, and 34 have to say yes to chickens... I know of 4 who are against me. 2 are sales and unless they close soon all absences or failure to vote = a no vote. That's 5 houses in play if I can get the entire freakin' membership to even care... I can do a "mail in ballot" - eg. walk from house to house and get them to sign a form... giving their yes vote proxy by signature to me to turn in at the meeting. Harder to say no to a lady and her cute 10 yo that wants to show chickens at 4H as part of her schooling??? help.

Sooooooooooo my question is, has anyone ever fought an HOA and won? if so how??? suggestions on wording, suggestions on answering questions at a meeting if I can even get that to happen.... anyone? anyone? buehller?
I AL SO PROUD OF YPU!! What was the outcome?? I just got a letter yesterday to remove my so called “chicken hatchery”.. I’m fighting this.

https://hoalaw.tinnellylaw.com/what-the-cluck-addressing-backyard-chickens-in-hoas/

Back
Top Bottom