Hatching chickens on last days

"They" say a chick has enough nutrients to go about 3 days on what they have absorbed from the yolk. But part of that depends on WHEN they absorbed the yolk. If you have an early hatcher then they are going to need food sooner than your last hatcher. Typically most eggs hatch within a day or so of each other. So usually we are not talking several days.

With all of that said I almost always see my new chicks going for at least water and very often food shortly after they fluff and are walking around the brooder. I am like Amy and move them pretty quickly for some of the same reasons she gave. I also don't like my chicks rolling my unhatched eggs.

Glad your peeps are hatching!:jumpy

"They" say a chick has enough nutrients to go about 3 days on what they have absorbed from the yolk. But part of that depends on WHEN they absorbed the yolk. If you have an early hatcher then they are going to need food sooner than your last hatcher. Typically most eggs hatch within a day or so of each other. So usually we are not talking several days.

With all of that said I almost always see my new chicks going for at least water and very often food shortly after they fluff and are walking around the brooder. I am like Amy and move them pretty quickly for some of the same reasons she gave. I also don't like my chicks rolling my unhatched eggs.

Glad your peeps are hatching!
jumpy.gif
xs 2. Kuchchicks and I are almost identical in our methods and philosophies

I am not a big lover of the philosophy of letting chicks go 3 days w/no food or water. My feelings on that is humans can go 3 days after eating w/o food and not die too- I know I don't want to.

I have electrolyte infused water and food in my brooder from the start. Almost all of my chicks are drinking within hours of hatching and many are eating within 24 hours. If they don't eat for a day or so I don't get worried, but I know that it's there if they want/need it.

What should I feed the baby chicks once moved to brooder that are usually kitchen held items
Chicks need starter crumble. Pure and simple. They should not be given anything more than that the first couple of days and then treating with egg is acceptable. Other treats as they grow need to be given only with grit or the ability to range in dirt.

I always use the save a chick for at least the first three days after hatch.

What differences do you notice using this vs straight water? I can say that I had a chick that took what seemed like forever to hatch on my last round. When she came out she looked like death warmed over! I really did not think she was going to make it. She was my last chick to hatch and so I left her in the bator over night. When I woke up the next morning she was still just laying there. She had not moved from that spot over night. I ended up pulling her out, gave her a few drop of Nutri Drench and a drink of water. Within an hour she was up and running around with the other chicks. I really believe it was the Nutri Drench. So I was just wondering if you found giving the electrolytes you noticed lively chicks sooner? Kind of a little jump start.

Chicks need starter crumble. Pure and simple. They should not be given anything more than that the first couple of days and then treating with egg is acceptable. Other treats as they grow need to be given only with grit or the ability to range in dirt.

x2! Feeding them "adult" feed can even cause then medical issues and cause damage to internal organs.

Back
Top Bottom