Hatching chicks pipped, then died why?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I'm posting for a friend. She has chicks that are currently hatching. Two have already made it out of the eggs no problem, but another 2 pipped, then died. Any ideas why? Her humidity is at 70%, checked with a calibrated thermometer. Temperature is 99.5. She's using a NR360 incubator, and has had impeccable hatch rates in the past. She said the two that died had yellowish fluid coming from the pips, ideas? Her humidity was at 50% during the incubation, could it have been to high? These eggs also weren't in a normal turner. All had ruptured air cells, so they were incubated upright in an egg carton. Could that be the problem? Could the ruptured air cells have been full of fluid, causing them to drown? There are still eggs left to hatch, no pips yet. She's going to candle them now.
Thanks for any suggestions! I hope the rest can get out okay.

Maybe the humidity, or the ruptured air cells, as you said?
Or both. It's possible the chicks died because the humidity was too high and they drowned because of the ruptured air cells.
It is not your friend's fault in any way, though. I am very sorry for her loss.
:hugs

Maybe the humidity, or the ruptured air cells, as you said?
Or both. It's possible the chicks died because the humidity was too high and they drowned because of the ruptured air cells.
It is not your friend's fault in any way, though. I am very sorry for her loss.
:hugs
Thank you, its definitely sad. I feel awful for her. :(
I was wondering that as well, the fluid makes me think they drown. She did have a calibrated thermometer, but I would be interested to calibrate it again. Since she's had great hatch rates in the past with her eggs, but these were the first shipped eggs we've tried.

Was the air vent open all the way? Suffocation sounds like the most likely issue.
It can unfortunately get bumped shut very easily.

The yellow ooze could be from bacteria that had infiltrated the egg.

When humidity is set at 70% there needs to be air exchange occurring, otherwise you would be suffocating the the chick in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom