Hatching chicks pipped, then died why?

The yellow ooze could be from bacteria that had infiltrated the egg.

When humidity is set at 70% there needs to be air exchange occurring, otherwise you would be suffocating the the chick in the egg.
There is a vent on the NR360 that she always has open. Its supposed to be full open during lockdown, though I think she opens and closes it as necessary to keep humidity stable. Its always open, though sometimes less than other times.

That was my other thought. She sanitizes the bator each time before using it, and washes hands. Bacteria is something we have been concerned about in the past. Though I didn't have any real reason to be worried about it, we were loosing some eggs midway through, so decided to up that security just in case that was the cause.

Something to consider is that not all eggs are equal in quality. Like if the eggs were collected from not so healthy birds. Or the parent birds may have genetic defects.

Humidity was to high I never go above 60%
Good to know. Seems humidity is pretty controversial, though we've always done it the same way, same humidity for many many hatches. She's starting a breeding business this year, so just this year she's hatched a lot of chicks with the same method. Never had a chick drown.
I'm either thinking it was parent birds, bacteria, or ruptured air cells at this point.

Talked to her today. She said she did an egg-topsy, and when she cracked it there was a bunch of yellowy fluid that came out of two of the eggs. I'm not sure how many went into lockdown, or if these eggs were the same ones that died after pip, but does that signify anything?
I'm thinking they rotated and closed off the pip. She said they had started to zip, but then died. Any idea how that can be prevented in the future? Is there really anyway to know how to react in time to help?

Back
Top Bottom