Hatching female chicks method

I don't think that just putting the eggs in the fridge will kill off all the male embryos...I have hatched out 9 chicks that were in the refrigerator, and I got 4 girls and 5 boys. Most of the eggs were round, and the one egg that wasn't round, the chick turned out to be a female. And so far, out of 12 eggs that were in the refrigerator that were incubated, I got 10 fertile eggs and 9 chicks. And most of these eggs were in the fridge for a week, some I didn't even know how long. And our fridge is pretty cold. Also, upping or lowering the temp in the bator to get the desired gender isn't true. Something I have found seems true though. And I would like to test it out next year more as well. My theory is that if you hatch eggs laid in the colder months(January-early may[I don't know about october-december because I have never hatched, or had my broodys hatch, chicks that late in the year.]), you will get more pullets, and if you hatch eggs laid in the warmer months(june-september), you will get more cockerels. So far this is the data I have collected to go with this theory. I need more to accurately prove it though. Ok, my info so far:

Late April-early may hatch in 2015-My hen hatched out 5 eggs that were laid in late april, and they hatched in may. It was like 30-45 degrees at night and 50-60 degrees during the day when they were laid. Out of the five she hatched out , all of them were pullets.

Late June-early July hatch in 2015-I had a hen hatch out 2 eggs. She originally had 6 eggs, but that's a long story and I'm not gunna tell it right now. Out of the 2 eggs, there was 1 boy and 1 girl. But since there was only 2 eggs, I don't really use this as good evidence. Because if I put it into percents, that's 50% roosters, but in reality there was only one, so that would screw up any percent that I tried to calculate.

August hatch in 2015- Another one of my hens hatched out 3 eggs. Of the 3 eggs, one had been refrigerated for 3 days, another for 5 days, and the last for 7+ days. I ended up with 2 girls and 1 boy. I don't know if this matters or not but the boy was from the egg in the fridge for 3 days.

July hatch in 2016-I hatched out 6 eggs in my brinsea mini eco bator, and all of these had been refrigerated, for how long, I don't have a clue. I had originally put in 8 eggs, but then I took one out on day 2 and added a new egg. Then I had a clear egg later on and took it out. Then i had an embryo quit, so I was left with 6 eggs with embryos. All hatched fine. The temps in the incubator were normal. No heat spikes, but at day 3 and day 1(day 1 for little Milo who had been put in on day 2 for the rest of the eggs) the incubator had shut off because of the outlet, and the temp got down to 74(I was gone all day with friends and no one checked the incubator), but I got it up as soon as I could, and everyone was fine. Phantom quit on day 10-11. Now all the little guys are doing fine. Out of the 6 chicks, 4 are cockerels, and 2 are pullets. Milo turned out to be a boy by the way. Just in case anyone was curious.

So, from what little data I have, I have theorized that eggs collected in warm months= cockerel>pullet and eggs collected in cool months= cockerels<pullets.

What do you think?
My Scotty Chickens lay year round out of the clutches from May thru September I've only had 3 cockerels and the rest pullets. Being in Texas y'all know how hot it was this summer.. this new breed of chicken is remarkable. Only 13-17 days to hatch. Not ever stopped laying and my girls will give me two or three in the morning and 2-3 in the evening per hen.. . Now time to start incubating to see just how true it stays with the cooler to warmer temperature theory... happy clucking... God bless..
Oh I didn't know that, all this time I have been doing it from a mixed group... Whoops. That is shocking! I always thought it came from the males sperm. Well my first time I hatched eggs I used all round eggs from the same hen 3 hatched 2 females 1 male. I'm curious to know what other people's results are too. I wonder if anyone has tried putting them in the fridge like I said. It's a new method so I doubt very many have done it.

My Scotty Chickens lay year round out of the clutches from May thru September I've only had 3 cockerels and the rest pullets. Being in Texas y'all know how hot it was this summer.. this new breed of chicken is remarkable. Only 13-17 days to hatch. Not ever stopped laying and my girls will give me two or three in the morning and 2-3 in the evening per hen.. . Now time to start incubating to see just how true it stays with the cooler to warmer temperature theory... happy clucking... God bless..
.........are you saying you get 2-3 eggs per hen per day?

Hello too all my feathery friends. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this group. God bless each and everyone of you and your flock.

I did an experimental batch that hatched last Wednesday. And I figured you might be interested in my results...Final tally was 5 of the 7 eggs hatching in each incubator, so 10 total. The 4 that did not hatch felt heavy, but I did not open them.
@rbc-bow-chicka How many males and how many females did you end up with?
It's been enough months that you probably know the answer by now :)

.........are you saying you get 2-3 eggs per hen per day?
No Mama, 2-3eggs am & pm per bird. There is an old timer that use to raise nothing but layers, he took care of my flock for about 6weeks in August. He couldn't believe what he seeing every morning and every evening. Happy and free range on (2) 3acres pastures that we rotate. 40/50 birds at all times. We do not add birds from outside flocks. Our feed program has balanced minerals and vitamins that we adjust all in chelated form . All organic feed ..

No Mama, 2-3eggs am & pm per bird. There is an old timer that use to raise nothing but layers, he took care of my flock for about 6weeks in August. He couldn't believe what he seeing every morning and every evening. Happy and free range on (2) 3acres pastures that we rotate. 40/50 birds at all times. We do not add birds from outside flocks. Our feed program has balanced minerals and vitamins that we adjust all in chelated form . All organic feed ..
Those birds are not each laying that many eggs

4 to 6 eggs a day and they hatch in 13-17 days 🤔
And just like that every other breed of chicken became obsolete. ☹️

I'm sorry! I'm late to the party... just seeing this now. Out of the 10 that hatched, I got 6 females and 4 males.
Just to check my memory-- they were all "supposed" to be females, right?

Thank you for reporting back with the results :thumbsup I see lots of posts from people who start experiments, but not nearly as many telling what the results were.

Back
Top Bottom