Hatching incubated eggs in cartons?

How do you hatch?

• in egg cartons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • lay the eggs on their side

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
This is a picture of Jumpstart 1 day old. Do you know what breed he is? Here is also a picture of his toes! Best picture I could do.
Jumpstarts toes! This is a picture of Jumpstart:
Jumpstart looks like a penguin if you ask me. (I know he isn't a penguin) This is a picture of chip. I KNOW chip is a frizzel because I got him from a frizzel nest.Picture: Chip is 1 week old.
This is a picture of Chips Toes:
my stupid phone couldn't take a NORMAL photo. Can you still see the Toes?

Last edited:
OMG, I just did a dumb thing.

Usually my chicks hatch 1-2, sometimes 3 days early. It is day 21 and it was driving me crazy since one hatched early yesterday and then no more pips.

I took an egg out and carefully opened the shell and the chick inside was still alive but the sac still had lots of veins. I rushed it back to incubator and upped the humidity but it looks like the sac is drying anyway.

Suggestions other than sitting on my hands and leaving the h*@% alone!

It's probably not going to make it sadly but you half to be patient I have had 1 out of foure only my first hatch to be late and three right on day 21 I hear that the water candling thing is effective but be patient it's so hard to do I hatched three babby ducks and one was on the afternoon of day 29 due date 28 they incubated with th chicken eggs too but I would defenitly water candle but I'm a bewbie just a suggestion

OMG, I just did a dumb thing.

Usually my chicks hatch 1-2, sometimes 3 days early. It is day 21 and it was driving me crazy since one hatched early yesterday and then no more pips.

I took an egg out and carefully opened the shell and the chick inside was still alive but the sac still had lots of veins. I rushed it back to incubator and upped the humidity but it looks like the sac is drying anyway.

Suggestions other than sitting on my hands and leaving the h*@% alone!

if you're normally hatching 1-3 days early you're temp is set too high and YES keep your hands out of the incubator, when the chicks are ready they'll pip and zip.

It's probably not going to make it sadly but you half to be patient I have had 1 out of foure only my first hatch to be late and three right on day 21 I hear that the water candling thing is effective but be patient it's so hard to do I hatched three babby ducks and one was on the afternoon of day 29 due date 28 they incubated with th chicken eggs too but I would defenitly water candle but I'm a bewbie just a suggestion
Sadly an egg I rescued was a Rhode Island Red. When the baby came out sadly he died.dont worry though. He died a VERY nice death. The vet put a tiny mask on him and he fell asleep and died that way, so he probably died the best way. He had Ophalitis I named him Wally.But I'm also happy because I have 3 happy Chicks! One is a Frizzel another is a Silkie. (I think I already told you but just incase if I didn't tell you:) their name is Pip short for pippin, which is 2 weeks old. He is a Silkie I'm sure. I have no idea if he's a boy or girl. He's a pic:
Then its Chip. Just Chip. He is 1 and a half week old Im sure he is a frizzel. I HOPE hes a frizzel. I don't exacly have a pictue of Chip but I will take a picture and quote this and post it. BTW Chip has 4 toes. 3 big toes 1 small one. Next is Jumpstart. ( I know it's a funny name, made it up by myself or I copied it somewhere can't remember). Jumpstart is 2 days old. I don't know what breed he is. He has 5 toes. Here is a picture of him it was the best I could do BUT I will quote this and post NEW pictures. Picture of Jumpstarts toes:
I will take NEW photos now..

Last edited:
Ok. Here is Pips Tail feathers Feet Wings and head AND body. SAME with every 3 chicks. Pippins HEAD:
Pippins WINGS:
Pippins FEET:
Pippins TAIL feathers:
Pippins BODY: yes, he likes holding his head high when about to get picked up:
now, on to Chip. Chips HEAD:
Chips Wing feathers:
Chips Tail feathers: I didn't get a picture he didn't exacly have tail feathers yet. Chips Feet:
Now, let's finish on Jumpstart. Jumpstarts Head:
Jumpstarts wing feathers:he doesn't exacly have wing feathers yet. Jumpstart doesn't have tail feathers yet. He's only 2 days old. Jumpstarts FEET AND body:
please tell me if you know if any of my chicks are roos or hens! Any help would be MASSIVELY awesome! BTW, please if you can also see which breed iv got. I'm sure pip is a Silkie. I also think he's a Sizzle. Im really sure chip is a frizzel, but please can you see what breed he is. He has 4 toes, Pip and Jumpstart have 5 toes. Its wierd because Jumpstart and Chip look the same BUT Jumpstart has 5 toes and Chip 4 toes. ANY help is epic! Thanks everyone!!

Ok. Here is Pips Tail feathers Feet Wings and head AND body. SAME with every 3 chicks. Pippins HEAD: Pippins WINGS: Pippins FEET: Pippins TAIL feathers: Pippins BODY: yes, he likes holding his head high when about to get picked up: now, on to Chip. Chips HEAD: Chips Wing feathers: Chips Tail feathers: I didn't get a picture he didn't exacly have tail feathers yet. Chips Feet: Now, let's finish on Jumpstart. Jumpstarts Head: Jumpstarts wing feathers:he doesn't exacly have wing feathers yet. Jumpstart doesn't have tail feathers yet. He's only 2 days old. Jumpstarts FEET AND body: please tell me if you know if any of my chicks are roos or hens! Any help would be MASSIVELY awesome! BTW, please if you can also see which breed iv got. I'm sure pip is a Silkie. I also think he's a Sizzle. Im really sure chip is a frizzel, but please can you see what breed he is. He has 4 toes, Pip and Jumpstart have 5 toes. Its wierd because Jumpstart and Chip look the same BUT Jumpstart has 5 toes and Chip 4 toes. ANY help is epic! Thanks everyone!!

Sorry I can't help with the breed but I want to say they are soooooo cute!

I have some WH shipped duck eggs in the bator with some of my back yard duck eggs. The eggs came from Florida; I live in Texas. I was amazed at the air cells. All in great shape. 6 of 14 WH eggs are developing nicely. 4 BY eggs are looking good. We are on day 11. I will be hatching these on their sides. I just read where someone suggested raising the big end a bit when putting them on their sides for lock down. Does anyone here elevate the big ends?

Cool Ren! I have BY duck eggs on day 13, and chickens on day 6, all should hatch together on Dec 15th.
I have heard of elevating the large end, but mine usually elevate themselves because of the weight being mostly in the small end. You can roll up a paper towel if you want to try it, but I'd wait and see how they lay naturally. Just be sure to lay the lowest side of the air cell dip upward. JMO

Back
Top Bottom