Hatching incubated eggs in cartons?

How do you hatch?

• in egg cartons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • lay the eggs on their side

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
Cool Ren! I have BY duck eggs on day 13, and chickens on day 6, all should hatch together on Dec 15th.
I have heard of elevating the large end, but mine usually elevate themselves because of the weight being mostly in the small end. You can roll up a paper towel if you want to try it, but I'd wait and see how they lay naturally. Just be sure to lay the lowest side of the air cell upward. JMO
Awesome, I'm so excited for you too. Mine should hatch on my DH's birthday, the 17th. I didn't plan that and it's funny for sure. We won't be going anywhere on his birthday,
big_smile.png

Question - What do you use to keep your eggs from rolling around?
just read up on carton hatching - wow - My duck eggs are a little big for the wire bottom holes to keep the eggs in one place and the roll around very easily. Even just gently sliding incubator back under table. I was thinking about foam rings - that came with a game - I would wash them first, or plastic zip ties in a circle.. This would hold the eggs, without placing them in a carton.... Any thoughts. I only need a 13 x 13 piece of wire so I can look for one with larger holes but for now, I am trying to come up with something. I have had good success with eggs on their sides and never tried anything else. Duck Eggs have only been in 2 days.

Last edited:
@alscatS How about rubber shelf liner? That's what I use. You can hoove it up in spots to make a little berm if necessary.

I've also read about folks cutting the paper towel inner cardboard roll into short (maybe 1") sections and laying the egg on those. Or toilet paper rolls... I think toilet paper rolls are bigger around than paper towel rolls, so that might be better with duck eggs.

Last edited:
@alscatS How about rubber shelf liner? That's what I use. You can hoove it up in spots to make a little berm if necessary.

I've also read about folks cutting the paper towel inner cardboard roll into short (maybe 1") sections and laying the egg on those. Or toilet paper rolls... I think toilet paper rolls are bigger around than paper towel rolls, so that might be better with duck eggs.

I'm going to try the toilet paper rings

Tootie, Buffy and Buffers

My sweet little Tootie... 4 wko yesterday. I never should have gotten her some friends, lol... she doesn't even care for me anymore
sad.png
Buffy and Buffers are more comfortable with me than she is
sad.png

Juicy and Fruitie, 7 wko

I'm going to post these in the gender thread hoping to hear that one is a pullet
smile.png

Oh Renee they are sooo pretty!! Juicy and Fruitie, the back one looks like a girl to me! Tootie is a dollbaby, but dont feel alone, lots of mine dont like me! They do seem to get better when they get to laying age though.

Oh Renee they are sooo pretty!! Juicy and Fruitie, the back one looks like a girl to me! Tootie is a dollbaby, but dont feel alone, lots of mine dont like me! They do seem to get better when they get to laying age though.

Thank you. I've gotten one reply on the gender thread and it was two cockerels
sad.png
but I guess if they both do turn out to be cockerels it won't be so bad. They aren't related to Tootie (
fl.gif
she is a she) or related to some pullets I have on order for Spring.

Back
Top Bottom