Have you ever had a nice rooster?

I have two. They are not mean. The Rhode Island Red is a little over a year old. He likes to run up on you when your back is turned but he never attacks. The other rooster just runs away from you. I think you just gotta show them you're the boss. Don't run from them and if they attack stand your ground and shoo them away.

I kind of feel like you've been wrongly educated on the subject of roosters and their 'aggression', which honestly isn't anyone's fault. I consider it the fake news of the poultry world. People don't speak of nice roosters half as much as the more ornery version. Do all dogs like to be picked up and petted? I'd ask the same about cats? Do all people like to be hugged? (My daughter and grandmother are the only ones I hug, everyone else I feel they are violating my personal space =)) It is all about the bird and it's personality/gene pool. I've had five roosters as of this posting and not one of them liked to be picked up and petted. Nore where they mean-spirited to me or my other animals. Understanding roosters for thousands of years have had one job. That is to take care of their flock, propagate and be an alert animal with an inherent personal space issue. Never were they intended or planned to be a lap dog. Are there roosters out there you'd like to punt, sure are. Bunch out there are exactly the opposite and a group that are right in the middle. If interested, YouTube has a nice assortment of people holding and coddling their pet roosters.

I recently lost my very friendly white leg horn roo named Ranger Roo. He would let me pick him up and pet him and we would go for walks. I was so upset to lose him. I just hatched 3 of his babies so I'm really hoping to get another really nice roo.
I gave away 7 of my hens chicks, and now they lay eggs for my friend. I miss them, but I know where they went. When my 2 roos died It hurt b

My neighbor got four 2 day old Rhode island bantams and her only hen of the group died when she was a chick. My neighbor hand-raised the chicks and wrapped them in hats and sang them to sleep. I would chick-sit them and they were the most loving chicks. Now she has 3 roos and they follow her around the yard and get sad when she leaves. They dance around us but they are the most lovable roosters that i have ever met and I had a rooster that was literally my baby. I went over today to say hi and all they wanted to do was cuddle with me. It all depends on how you raise the chickens and how young they were when you got them. My old rooster was a "teenager" when we got him, but i went everywhere with him. I would always bring him out on a towel while i was watching TV and he would fall asleep on me. In the mornings I would go out, grab an apple and eat my apple with him on my shoulder pecking at the apple. He was one of the more lovable roosters that I met. This is him:
449904.jpg

My neighbor got four 2 day old Rhode island bantams and her only hen of the group died when she was a chick. My neighbor hand-raised the chicks and wrapped them in hats and sang them to sleep. I would chick-sit them and they were the most loving chicks. Now she has 3 roos and they follow her around the yard and get sad when she leaves. They dance around us but they are the most lovable roosters that i have ever met and I had a rooster that was literally my baby. I went over today to say hi and all they wanted to do was cuddle with me. It all depends on how you raise the chickens and how young they were when you got them. My old rooster was a "teenager" when we got him, but i went everywhere with him. I would always bring him out on a towel while i was watching TV and he would fall asleep on me. In the mornings I would go out, grab an apple and eat my apple with him on my shoulder pecking at the apple. He was one of the more lovable roosters that I met. This is him:
449904.jpg
that's because he's a BR, known to be tamer roosters... NOT my polish roo, he will take treats from my hand, and then my finger!!

We've had several different breeds, but hands down the best temperaments were our BLRW. We'd get one every now and then that felt he had to assert his masculinity, so he went to freezer camp. But by and large, the Wyandotte boys are easy to get along with and aren't hard on the hens. Several years ago we had a dog attack and our two big Wyandotte boys took one for the team and saved all their hens, while sacrificing themselves.

I have only had ONE nice rooster out of what feels like 100 mean ones since we started owning chickens. He is a barred rock, very gentle with his girls. Will take food from our hands, and he leaves us alone. He's not a cuddly rooster but hey, as long as he never attacks me or my kids, he can live his happy life on our farm!

Back
Top Bottom