Hawk attack on my Plymouth Rock

Camilla7

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2015
Hi All!
Looking for some guidance ... One of our hens was attacked by a hawk or some bird of prey. She had a wound on the back of her head by her comb that we have treated and we have isolated her so the others don't peck at her. At the moment I have her in a carrier in our garage ... However I concerned about her being on her own in the cold. Feels like 5 degrees here in PA and to get colder tonight.

My question is ... Without her other friends will she be able to keep warm enough or should I bring her in? I could be her in the basement ... Just didn't want to raise the temp for her too much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Also thank goodness for roosters and saving their girls!

Thanks all!

I would say it depends on the wound. Can you post pics of her?

If she isnot injured too terribly, she should be okay in an unseated garage. My hen got attacked last week from a fox, and she had several wounds, one pretty deep. Since she was also molting, I decided to bring her into a drafty (but heated) foyer. I’m glad I did, since she has had this tough molt and wounds, she needed more TLC. Your girl may not.

I would say it depends on the wound. Can you post pics of her?

If she isnot injured too terribly, she should be okay in an unseated garage. My hen got attacked last week from a fox, and she had several wounds, one pretty deep. Since she was also molting, I decided to bring her into a drafty (but heated) foyer. I’m glad I did, since she has had this tough molt and wounds, she needed more TLC. Your girl may not.

It didn't seem like a deep injury and once cleaned and treated with blu-kote it hasn't bleed since. I will try and post some pics ... I wasn't thinking and didn't take any before we treated it. She isn't molting either at the moment.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Pics attached. They're not great .. sorry all.

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_185532176.jpg
    IMG_20180107_185532176.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180107_185525988.jpg
    IMG_20180107_185525988.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180107_185511946.jpg
    IMG_20180107_185511946.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 6
if your worried about the temp do you maby have a spare room you could put her in but if the temp doesn't get to low keep her in the garage also i would not put her back with the other chickens tell it gets better hope i help

if your worried about the temp do you maby have a spare room you could put her in but if the temp doesn't get to low keep her in the garage also i would not put her back with the other chickens tell it gets better hope i help

I have moved her to the basement cos it was just too cold without her family!

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom