Hawk attack

Horse-n-bunny

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 1, 2012
Connecticut
A hawk got one if my 12 girls today. I went out back and saw the carnage but the other 11 have totally disappeared. I assume they ran into woods for saefety. Question is will they return on their own??5/11 have come back into fenced in back yard and are slowly making their way to coop. Should I assume other 5 are gone for good?? Any help is appreciated. Does fishing line over area prevent hawk attacks.

Last edited:
The rest will likely return on their own. Home is home.

I use small diameter colorful nylon cord over my run, stretched on 6 inch centers, to help prevent the hawk from flying into and out of the run. I think that the hawk would not be inclined to try to fly into the run if the way seemed to be obstructed.

We have hawks here most all the time. My chickens forage most of the day, so an attack out in the open is more likely that one in the run. There is plenty of shelter for the chickens to reach quickly where they forage, so there is the chance that they could hide.

Chris

Thanks for the response. I guess I didn't clarify. But girls were free ranging in backyard which is fenced in. My run has mesh wire on top n all around it

Back
Top Bottom