Hawk? Fox?? Confusing Predator Behavior

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Last Friday, (10/21), three of my beautiful hens went missing. I had hope that they would return until I found concrete evidence. On Sunday (10/23), I noticed a pile of feathers where they usually free range. My guess is the pile was there all along but I didn't notice it. There was no carcass near the feathers. I was outside most of the day on Monday (10/24) & walked past that area several times, still definitely no carcass or any other remains besides the feathers. This morning (10/25), the body shows up about a foot from the feathers. Half eaten and just some organs and the beautiful little legs remain :(

My question is- what predator behaves this way?? Was it a hawk? Could they have held onto their meal for a few days and then dropped the body back where they found it? It was almost in the exact same spot where I suspect the hunt happened. Or is there another animal that does this?

Help! I want to protect the rest of my girls the best I can but don't know what I'm up against.

I'm sorry for your losses. Where are you and what type of predators do you have? I don't think it's a hawk.
Thank you. I'm in Maryland, not far from Annapolis/Baltimore. I know we have foxes and I think hawks too...not sure what else in this area. I have never had an issue with predators. We have 3 acres and a fence around the yard. Not fox proof, but to give the context that the free range area doesn't meet the brush or woods. There are some trees within our fenced area but it's been cleared and not dense enough to house any foxes. Across the street are dense woods. Definitely deer and fox in there. And the yard where they range is mostly flat ground without shrubs or hiding spots, so anything overhead could easily see the ladies ranging.

Most raptors can't carry off a full sized chicken.
Definitely odd that whatever it was returned the body.

Was there a tree above the spot? Maybe what ever it was carried it up into the tree and it eventually fell?

Appreciate the help. These are ideas I haven't thought of. There's no tree and also no splatter of the guts, so I don't think it was dropped from a tree (I guess that rules out my hawk idea too).

We do have a 30lb dog that shares the yard for potty breaks but I didn't notice any evidence on her. She came in and out of the house several times before the body appeared, and we keep a pretty watchful eye on her. I also don't think she would have had the self control to hide it, not show us where it was, then somehow manage to drag it back to the spot days later. There was still a thigh intact with a ton of prime meat. I would expect her to eat that, right? :(

Another weird thing, the body wasn't really decomposing. It looked fresh. Even though all 3 were gone on Friday and I found this carcass on Tuesday. Haven't found any evidence for what happened to the other two. The head, breast, and wings were missing. Feathers mostly plucked off. The legs, attached to both thighs, with some of the spine and the entire stomach and internal organs were all visible and intact. Mostly in place. Really devastating. But there were no bugs on it, oddly everything looked fresh. I am so confused.

Is there any chance it's a dog? That's the thing I know that would carry it around and "play with it." I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I lost my first girl ever to a Hawk. You're right the Hawk did not fly off with the body.....
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Appreciate the help. These are ideas I haven't thought of. There's no tree and also no splatter of the guts, so I don't think it was dropped from a tree (I guess that rules out my hawk idea too).

We do have a 30lb dog that shares the yard for potty breaks but I didn't notice any evidence on her. She came in and out of the house several times before the body appeared, and we keep a pretty watchful eye on her. I also don't think she would have had the self control to hide it, not show us where it was, then somehow manage to drag it back to the spot days later. There was still a thigh intact with a ton of prime meat. I would expect her to eat that, right? :(

Another weird thing, the body wasn't really decomposing. It looked fresh. Even though all 3 were gone on Friday and I found this carcass on Tuesday. Haven't found any evidence for what happened to the other two. The head, breast, and wings were missing. Feathers mostly plucked off. The legs, attached to both thighs, with some of the spine and the entire stomach and internal organs were all visible and intact. Mostly in place. Really devastating. But there were no bugs on it, oddly everything looked fresh. I am so confused.
It's possible it was a hawk and fido dragged the bird somewhere, and retrieved it a couple days later.

Or.. and hopefully not... Fido actually killed the chickens.

Maybe a game cam will help you figure out what is lurking around.

Really confusing situation! Most likely scenario to me is a multiple culprit situation. Something got the girls but couldn't eat all three. (Fox perhaps, I'm not certain but I think I read they will clear a henhouse out if possible vs. taking only what they need that day... Double check me on this.) Maybe your pup tried found the predator's cache and tried to bring one back home to you?

Really confusing situation! Most likely scenario to me is a multiple culprit situation. Something got the girls but couldn't eat all three. (Fox perhaps, I'm not certain but I think I read they will clear a henhouse out if possible vs. taking only what they need that day... Double check me on this.) Maybe your pup tried found the predator's cache and tried to bring one back home to you?
Unfortunately I would agree. It's sad to think that whatever got them must have enjoyed the meal nearby, and perhaps the dog found the remains and carried them back to the spot. I've been keeping a close watch on them for now and aren't allowing them to range alone, but I may set up game cameras in the yard for the future.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom