Hawks :(

I am always out with my birds when they free range. Today, I was taken off guard. I'm pretty sure it was a juvenile hawk. I didn't think they were that brazen. I guess I was wrong!!! I chased it off, and lucky no one was hurt. So much for free ranging. I guess the only time they get will be in the tractor!!!

I'm always worried about the hawks! Didn't think they would come around if someone was in the yard with them. Thanks for sharing. I have probably let my guard down too much lately.
roll.png

OMG! The exact same thing happened to me. We have already lost my baby brothers chicken , Beaker the barred rock, and recently my FAVORITE chicken, RIR, Matilda.Also our RIR, Rocky I was absolutely DEVASTATED! From what I've read in my posts put up scarecrows, fencing, or pie pans or scratched up CDs and hang them from tree limbs. I haven't got the,pm away, but I've heard when your chickens are fully grown Hawks aren't much of a threat. If you need more help visit some of my hawk threads:) I hope what I said was useful. :D;)

I posted a few minutes ago on another forum about hawks snacking on my hens. I do have a question after reading many of these post on hawks.
Does size matter? I'm talking hen size here. I have bard rocks and RR reds which I was under the assumption were larger hens. Does their size intimidate hawks or is any hen a target? (I lost a RR Red hen last week to a hawk.)

I posted a few minutes ago on another forum about hawks snacking on my hens.  I do have a question after reading many of these post on hawks.
              Does size matter?  I'm talking hen size here.  I have bard rocks and RR reds which I was under the assumption were larger hens.  Does their size intimidate hawks or is any hen a target?  (I lost a RR Red hen last week to a hawk.)

Yes . So I have learned. From when you first let them outside up till they r about a year the Hawks are a threat. Not so much when they are adults. I've already had 3 RIRs of mine get snatched up by a hawk when they were 4-7 months old. :/

It does not matter in my area. I have had a large Australorp hen killed by a hawk. I have also had a wyandotte killed by a falcon smaller than her. I have had numerous close calls with falcons swooping into my flock of adult birds.

Don't let your guard down. This is the time of year when it all starts happening the most.

Back
Top Bottom