Hawks :(

try fishing line and make like a spider web design, use the 80 pound it will last longer. I am surprised that the deer netting didn't work! A hawk has great vision and won't usually fly THROUGH anything. Are you sure it didn't come loose?

What are they?
If you have a big place these work well for all kinds of trespassers i use a 4 foot piece of 1 inch PVC as a launcher and i am very accurate with placement of my shot
big_smile.png

just a touch it was able to get it loose and come in under where we had attached the netting to the wood support. It then flew out by flying right at the net and raising it just enough to get free.

Whoa!! I can't believe they can do that! I just got wire today to cover ours, we've just lost a few too. I came home and found the hawk INSIDE of the coop!!!!! We've already done the shiny stuff and hanging ribbons and placing fake owls. They just don't care and are relentless. Sigh...

So sorry Mnichols7138

Welcome to BYC, sorry this has to be your first post. I just built a run around my coop. TOo many Birds of Prey here. I wouldn't even mess with the netting and go to the heavy artillery.

I used welded wire. Got a great price on 200 ft. from the local True Value hardware store. Beat Lowes, Home Depot and the internet. Didn't have to pay for shipping.

Good Luck with the rest of your flock.

MB

how tall are your posts? Can you walk under?

The fishing line above works very well, Just making a chicken run isn't like free ranging your chickens, they just end up on dirt/mud and nothing to eat other than what you give them
The fishing line above works in a huge area, as big as you want it. And they get the bugs and worms without the worry of those nasty hawks and owls!

I have a number of bushes in my run and also 2 shelters that are 8'x8' and about 4' tall (I have geese too).  I also have 2- 10' tall pvc pipes that are standing upright in the ground.  I attached fishing line to the top and ran it in different directions to the outer fencing.  I put colored nylon rope that I frayed in a few places along each piece of fishing line to make it more visible and appear that there is alot of stuff there.  I wasn't sure if it would help but it only cost a few dollars to make and less than an hour to set up myself.  One of my shelters is in the middle of the 2 pipes.  I have not seen any of our hawks even circle above this area. 
I would like to see this. My yard would be about 16 ft x 50 ft and was wanting something like this. I have trees on one 50 ft side that may help.

We have a large ENCLOSED run with coops attached - a large one for my big girls and three roosters and a divided part of the run and separate coop for The Littles (bantam silkies, Mille Fleurs and one RIR who was picked on by the Bigs).

One of my silkies, Angel, who goes broody all the time, went broody. Normally I put her in the broody buster but it's too cold for her to be alone. So I had been closing the coop door for a few days to keep her off the nest- everyone else is in an egg dormancy right now.

Yesterday I went out to feed around 3:00 and I found the body of my lovely black Silkie hen Chiquita by the entrance to the run. I freaked out then realized A HAWK WAS STILL IN THE ENCLOSED RUN on the other side where the Bigs were! I only free range under supervision and could not believe it. I ran over and opened the gate and shooed it out.

After taking care of things, I inspected the run for how it got in. There is a small opening (but big enough) where one gate opens inward so the wire was cut away there to allow gate to move. I put a small board over that opening and put two fake owls on top of the run.

I have always kept bigs and littles separated because I (unfortunately) have two big roosters - a BIG Silver polish and a HUGE Dominecker too big for my little girls. Also my other Top Hats pick on them. But now I'm wondering if I need to let them all co mingle. I don't know what else to do beside keep the small coop open - I close the doors to coops every night in case of other predators but never expected a hawk INSIDE the coop. Any thoughts? I'm so sad plus I always have the hardest time finding adult Silkie hens for sale so to find another black Silkie will be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom