Hawks :(

WE DID THE FISHING LINE ABOVE THE WHOLE AREA WHERE OURS FREE RANGE, AND NOT A HAWK TO BE FOUND! I THINK THE FISHING LINE COST LESS THAN $5 AND WE JUST USED LEFT OVER FENCING TO MAKE IT NICE AND TALL WHERE WE COULD WALK UNDER IT.

Has anyone ever seen Cd's on a post? There was a guy I met in MI who swore that a few old CDs screwed to a post scared the hawks.

Has anyone ever seen Cd's on a post? There was a guy I met in MI who swore that a few old CDs screwed to a post scared the hawks.
CDs have been used by lots of folks for years. Most of the time they are strung up on strings and hung from poles or trees since it is the random flashes from when the light hits them that is supposed to work. Some swear by them, others have had attacks even with them.

Does anyone know what size/weight/color chicken seem to be less affected? I had an Easter Egger that was huge. I watched a hawk thump her once and take off with just feathers. Maybe we should all be raising ten pounder heavy weights!

Does anyone know what size/weight/color chicken seem to be less affected? I had an Easter Egger that was huge. I watched a hawk thump her once and take off with just feathers. Maybe we should all be raising ten pounder heavy weights!

I like the light weights.
Our brown leghorns have always done well against predators including hawks.
Theyre flighty, fast, always on guard and a tad bit crazy.

I had 3 hawks circling overhead yesterday. All I could do was watch and pray. Glad I was there to help guard Momma hen and her 4 four week old biddies as well as my 2 other hens. The hawks eventually flew on. Whew!

Had a large red shouldered hawk soar in to my run this morning. I happened to be watching from the house at the time. It didn't get in and I ran out right away to help. I closed up all 8 of my chickens in their coop for a while. Scary though as right now I only have bird meeting over the run.

The hawk flew to a perch and just blew me off when I tried to scare it off. It was still there a half hour later when I left for work.

Looks like I'm building a more sturdy run this weekend...complete with a welded wire roof.

I'll still let them free range supervised but I know they're at risk then.

Wonder how my large New Hampshire Red roo would fare against this hawk. He'd maybe do ok vs a Cooper's but I doubt he'd stand a chance against this red shouldered. It was fast and very large.

Back
Top Bottom