Heated Waterer Review / comments

I to have 2 of the 3.5 gallon waterer mentioned. I just returned from the coop for the second time this morning clearing ice out of it. I have nothing good to say about it. All that has been mentioned is true. I am heading to Tractor Supply and pay what ever it takes to solve my problem. Eggs are a large part of my livelihood so the health and well being of my flock is a Must! I don't understand why heated waterers are such a problem. The people that make them must not have to use them. If my chickens could speak english they would be deafened by my language.
old.gif

I just bought one of the base heaters for metal founts only. I just put my plastic one on it. Guy at the local TCI says he uses it and has not had a melt down yet. Time will tell.

I say again. Heated dog bowl.

-Have been using mine for about a week. It works great. 1 1/2 gal. size for 7 birds. Automatic thermostat. No ice. Bowl is staying nice and clean. Easy daily water change using two small buckets ( one for clean and one for waste water).

After reading through the thread my husband dug around the barn and found a ceramic bulb base, garage door spring, cinder block and a paver stone. He cut the spring down to size to fit over the bulb base(just added strength/security, I guess), put a 60 watt(cuz that's we had) bulb in place, secured it on the paver and with cinder block around it. Plastic waterer placed on top of cinder block. We've had below zero temps outside, about 20 degrees warmer in the coop I'd say. No issues whatsoever. We'll likely change the bulb wattage to something lower when we get to it. The 60 watt bulb is definitely more than sufficient.

Our coop is a former greenhouse on the southside of a barn so when the sun is shining that does warm it up in there. Even so we did have some ice in the water and that's just not gonna work for us so I'm really thankful to all who posted with your great ideas!!
smile.png

Tracey

Bummer. I have two exactly as that one and one older one that is a bit thicker in the handle and no fill hole you have to take the red reservoir off then fill reattach then flip it. I only put a gallon and half in each one so I can flip it easier.

Between this info and the McGyver-style geniuses over on the cookie tin waterer thread, I once again thank the BYC community for being so helpful!
bow.gif

Regarding heated dog bowls, has anyone tried putting a plastic waterer in the bowl itself? Shopthecoop.com is selling a contraption that basically appears to be a heated bowl into which you can stick your own waterer, http://www.shopthecoop.com/mm5/merc...ore_Code=STC&Product_Code=CW&Category_Code=TC. Seems like one could probably just buy the heated dog dish for less. Has this method worked for anyone?

I also just saw this contraption, which seems like it would be a wireless option: http://cozywinters.com/shop/snugglesafe.html

Boy
is it bloody cold!!! The girls, amazingly, don't seem particularly bothered by it. I sure am!
hmm.png

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom