Heating a plastic bucket nipple waterer ?

I would be very careful about aquarium heaters. Try to ensure that the heater itself is not touching the plastic- if it gets hot enough it could melt the plastic. Sounds like people have not had problems with lower wattage heaters. You won't need much, unless you have very cold winters, to keep the water thawed. Also, make sure you are refilling your bucket frequently with an aquarium heater; if the heater is not completely submerged, it could shatter.

Quote:
That has not been my experience.

My heater has run dry many times, it shuts off automatically and does not shatter. It is in contact with the plastic bucket at all times. Never melts.

I am thinking about making some of these waterers for my coop but do the heaters inside the bucket keep the water warm enough that the nipples or drinker cups dont freeze? Do you all prefer the nipples or cups for winter use? I am so tired of chipping frozen wood chips nd poo out of the waterers just to break the plastic bottom of the waterer. grrrr

Found a 100W submersable acquarium heater I had, suction cups on the holder keep in put in the bottom of the
bucket... ... seems to work well so far.
I've decided to put it on a timer, since I don't think the heater will ever shut off.

Quote:
That has not been my experience.

My heater has run dry many times, it shuts off automatically and does not shatter. It is in contact with the plastic bucket at all times. Never melts.

Quote:
i use these cups (absolutely love them) on a pvc pipe and tube the water down to it from 7, 5, 3 gallon waterers. The couple problems I have is with the tubes getting green and the saddles splitting.
Could you take a pic of the bottom of the bucket so I can see what you did on the mounting of these cups? Thanks cj

Last edited:
Quote:
At 1500 watts it should work. It's going to be expensive to run though. The purchase price and electric cost is going to be a lot more than aquarium heater. Think of it like running three brooder lights simultaneously.

Last edited:
Quote:
At 1500 watts it should work. It's going to be expensive to run though. The purchase price and electric cost is going to be a lot more than aquarium heater. Think of it like running three brooder lights simultaneously.

Actually it will most likely use the same or possibly less electricity. Sure it uses more power, but does not use it for as long a period. In large stock tanks, smaller heaters (1000w) use more energy than large ones (1500-2000W). they do not have to work as hard so they use much less electricity. An aquarium heater is designed to keep water at high minimum temp, something like 55 0r 60*. A stock tank heater is designed to keep the water just above freezing, 35 - 40*. Depending on the temperature differential, the aquarium heater could possibly use MORE electricity and therefore cost more to run.

why would it be expensive to run? Once it reaches it's whatever temp it's set for it should cut out until it is needed again. I'd wager that those running aquarium heaters that want to keep the water at 60-70 degrees would be spending a fair bit more with their systems than a heater that is designed to keep the water just above freezing.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom