Heating the Chicken coop in Winter.. Any suggestions

Pics

n2thestorm5032

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Sparta (Spartucky), Michigan
What is the best way to heat the chicken coop with a portable heater, Electric no gas. What is best radiant, Wall.. ext... I don't want propane or gas, Any suggestions on what will keep the chickens warm in the winter? now winter is far a for me but I want to stay on the Bright side!

I think we overdid it (sorry hubby!) our first winter. As long as the coop stays above freezing and is ventilated but draft free, you should be fine. We keep one heat lamp in there for the waterer, which keeps the water from freezing. In Jan/Feb when it's -20, -30°F, we have a second heat lamp above the roosts, and a towel tacked over the door to keep the drafts out, and that's it. The coop is insulated to keep heat in with 2" foam board.
The 2x4s, like Lynne said, allow them to settle over their feet to keep them warm, and if you keep it above freezing in the coop then the eggs won't freeze. Definitely supplement with a little more corn in the evenings... they should be fine.
Also, if you have a way to provide them with a covered area outside, free of snow, I think you'll be surprised to find that they do spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter.
thumbsup.gif
Good on ya for thinking ahead, though!
smile.png

Hi. This will be my first winter with chickens, too. I have a 4'X4'X3' coop. The enclosed run is much bigger, and I let them run my back yard all day. I close them in the run/coop area at night. I live in central Montana. Sometimes it can be -20-35 for a week or 2 4-5 times in a winter. I have been doing some research on to heat or not to heat the coop. I have some crazy ideas, but I will do some research on things I have read here. Thanks all the cold weather experienced chicken people for giving your thoughts!

I do know that I will put clear plastic around much of my run, as it is super windy here....sometimes 60 below with the wind chill. I did just put tin on my coop roof & run area to keep the enclosed run area snow free. I will use a waterer warmer of some sort. I currently have 2 roosters & 13 hens. I have a little shelter built in the yard to protect the feeder(there will be 1 in the run area, too.) I will supplement with corn, scratch & other seeds before bed. I am using the deep bedding method. I am considering mounting a light to shine on the door, but under the covered run. The inside of my coop is just too small to put a light in safely. I was planning on making my coop bigger, but the husband says they will be colder with more space....so.... Oh, and I am just nutty enough to shovel in the yard if necessary so they have more minimally snowy space to roam.

One of my friends suggested using heat tape that would radiate heat starting at 35 F. I am trying to think how to mount that safely. What do people think?

If I were you, I would seriously reconsider expanding that coop. 4X4' is not big enough for 15 standard size chickens. With your cold weather, your birds may prefer to stay in the coop more. With that number of birds, in that small space, humidity/moisture is going to be a BIG problem. I don't think you could practically have enough ventilation, for the # of birds, in that small space. I would DOUBLE the size of the coop for them. The chickens will be a lot more comfortable. It's a myth, that a bigger coop leads to chilly chickens, BIGGER is better. Ventilate well, and forget about adding any heat. Except for the water fount warmer.
And you're not the only nut, I've shoveled snow for my spoiled birds too. Expand the coop NOW, before winter sets in.

Last edited:
my guy at the feed store , his family has owned for 50plus years and he's worked in for 40 looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked him about a heater for the coop.

And then he told me it would mess up their molt and throw them all off.He said food is heat and to supplement them with corn.
I live in southern new england and it gets well below freezing for extended periods in the winter .

Here in Maine I have NEVER insulated or heated my coop. These birds will grow enough feathers to insulate them. Keeping the coop to air tight will create a over load of amonia fumes (my belief), creating health issues. For years I had a chicken house with aluminum roofing (no insulation), it was 5 feet high (to keep the heat down into the coop) and wide boards. In the fall I would put plastic over 3/4 of the outside walls to stop drafts and NEVER lost a single hen.
Now I have a shingled front and where its "in a shed" so it has tar paper around the back side of it to stop a draft.
If your power goes out, you must realize that this is when your flock is at its highest risk of freezing to death. You are killing them with kindness.
I can see if you heat your water or leave a light bulb on to lengthen days, but my power goes out several times a winter, often weekly and I want my girls to know how to suggle up.
Oh, hand I have about 2 1/2 ft of clear plastic for the human door so that when I go in, not all heat is lost when I open the door. This is also another reason the "deep litter" method is best for Northern climates.
Good luck on your choices!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I learned a long time ago to do what was needed to put my mind at rest. I would not be able to sleep while animals I cared for where huddling and shivering to keep warm. I just cant do that!

If it puts your mind at ease to heat your birds, I am sure that they will appreciate in thier own little birdy ways your extra efforts. My hens are 7-9 years old, and still laying, they were my brothers first, and I inherited them 2 years ago. They have been under red heat lights every winter of thier lives, and I have noticed that while they molted, they vied to be closer to the heat source on the cold eves! Now tell me they dont appreciate it?
wink.png

Do what makes you sleep best at night, and let the person who unplugged your lights sleep out on the porch some night.
cool.png

I live where its super hot which is super hard on birds worse than cold weather. However last winter was cold. The readings inside the coop were 19 degrees. Only thing I did was block the wind. The birds would not come out of the coop. It wasn't the cold it was the wind. Block the wind & they will do fine.

That's good advice but also, what happens to your chickens if you heat them and then have a power outage? Which often happens in winter. They won't be properly acclimated.

Back
Top Bottom