Heirloom Yields?

I am looking for green pepper, carrot, cucumber, radish, celery and broccoli? I have 3 types of large tomato. Marmande Super, Evergreen, and Big Rainbow. Cherry tomatoes i have. Yellow pear, Gold Currant, Gardeners Delight.

I have some black carrot seed ordered that I'd be willing to share. It's supposed to be black all the way through, not orange in the center like the purple carrots. Also have white carrot seed. I'm sending you the celery seed I have since you showed an interest.

I also have san marzano tomatoes that I have saved and grown for three years now that are amazing producers and the flavor is to die for.

I tried posting from my Nook Hd this morning but for some reason it never posted to the site. Oh well. I have planted melon, squash, cabbage, brussel sprouts, lettuce, okra, nasturtiums, broccoli, tomatoes, red noodle beans, sorghum, quinoa, kale, parsnips, and rutabagas from Baker Creek. The tomatoes we had the best luck with so far, 8 of 10 varieties germinated and grew. The red noodle beans and sorghum did great. 2 of 4 melon varieties germinated but only one produced what it was supposed to produce and that tasted like dead fish and not sweet like the description said. Three varieties of winter squash germinated at about 50% and none of them produced anything, two never even put on a female bloom. The quinoa grew and produced but no the kind it was supposed to be. The Kale was also the wrong variety. The okra, rutabagas, top setting radish, nasturtiums, brussel sprouts, and parsnips never germinated in two seperate plantings. The lettuce came up but only germinated about 10% of the seed. The broccoli and cabbage produced in our over winter greenhouse but became so infested with cabbage aphids (which I have never had in 20 + years of gardening) that the harvest was minimal.

AND all of this was grown in the same soil and conditions as other heirloom seeds from other seed companies which produced and grew very well. It wasn't the soil, the weather, the water level, etc that was the problem. I've had other people tell me they have had the same problems over and over too ... poor germination, wrong variety of plant, no production, heavy pest issues. What can I say ... Baker Creek seeds were a waste of money and time.

That's very disappointing! I can't imagine how frustrating that is. I don't blame you at all for feeling that way. I hope you have better luck (and a better lot of seeds) this year!

I tried to look them up before I bought seeds (and I bought a lot....) but the majority of the reviews I saw were favorable, and once I got the tomato and pepper seeds started and the majority of them germinated, I was pretty happy. I guess this summer I'll really see what happens--though I must admit I'd rather find out that it's the wrong variety than have everything fail altogether. I'll have to take better notes (I started with notes and then........ Well, my notebook is blank).

What company do you use then? Have you used them before and with success or will this be your first year? I saw you have black carrot seeds--that sounds like fun! I think I'm just enjoying the variety that's available.

I use Baker Creek Seeds and have never had a problem. They seem to be the only ones that are able to keep up with my gardening passion. Yeah I gotta real problem. Usually 20 or more kinds of winter squash. 6 to 10 kinds of summer squash. Tomatoes I think I was in the neighborhood of 15 or 18 different kinds. Then there are my oddball experiments. Like my mangel beet seed project. This year I will mess with collecting seed from cabbage I think. Oh forgot peppers , well I dont even know how many different kinds. Who has time to count? I always have amazing yeilds. They say for example, that you get like 5 fruits a plant. (winter squash) I ended up with like 10 to 15 per plant. The fruits were 2 to 3 times the size they were estimated to mature at as well. So yeilds are no problem with heirlooms or Baker Creek seed.
I end up with so much I sell it , give it away, swap it, etc. One of my best friends has a brother that is a professional chef, So I unload a lot of stuff on them. The biggest thrill for me is if I can grow it. I start my own seeds in my sunporch, and by planting day it looks like a jungle. Everyone wants me to sell them started plants but I dont have the time or space. The biggest thing is just go for it. Just do it. Watch and learn as you go. Did I mention I had a problem? Please note my little kittie in my avatar modeling some of the pumpkins stored for winter.

Peaches Lee, now I'm thinking of squashes...... I may have to buy and plant a few seeds before my boyfriend notices they're in the garden
wink.png
Do you have any recommendations for sweeter varieties? Some that are easier to make savory for soups and other similar dshes?
I love squashes! The sweeter ones that you could try might be Sweet Dumpling and Delicata. I have actually made a curry soup with Australian Butter (that's my all time favorite though and I make everything with it). Galuex d'Eysines have a super velvety texture. Butternut Waltham was delicious on it's own with some butter, and awesome in a sweet casserole I made. Black Futsu has a hazelnut flavor. It was my veterinarian's favorite squash I gave him! He absolutely raved about it. The White Acorn was very mild compared to other Acorn types. These are all winter squashes. Were you thinking of winter or summer squashes or both?

I use Baker Creek Seeds and have never had a problem. They seem to be the only ones that are able to keep up with my gardening passion. Yeah I gotta real problem. Usually 20 or more kinds of winter squash. 6 to 10 kinds of summer squash. Tomatoes I think I was in the neighborhood of 15 or 18 different kinds. Then there are my oddball experiments. Like my mangel beet seed project. This year I will mess with collecting seed from cabbage I think. Oh forgot peppers , well I dont even know how many different kinds. Who has time to count? I always have amazing yeilds. They say for example, that you get like 5 fruits a plant. (winter squash) I ended up with like 10 to 15 per plant. The fruits were 2 to 3 times the size they were estimated to mature at as well. So yeilds are no problem with heirlooms or Baker Creek seed.
I end up with so much I sell it , give it away, swap it, etc. One of my best friends has a brother that is a professional chef, So I unload a lot of stuff on them. The biggest thrill for me is if I can grow it. I start my own seeds in my sunporch, and by planting day it looks like a jungle. Everyone wants me to sell them started plants but I dont have the time or space. The biggest thing is just go for it. Just do it. Watch and learn as you go. Did I mention I had a problem? Please note my little kittie in my avatar modeling some of the pumpkins stored for winter.

I love it!! Especially the kitty with the pumpkins ;)

Do you have any recommendations for winter squash? This is my first time doing such a big garden, and I keep finding more things I want and more places to "hide" them. I can't tell if my boyfriend is annoyed that I'm taking over the yard or annoyed that we don't have more land!

And yes, I've heard people having great experiences with Baker Creek, too. I figure I already have the seed (and oh boy is there a lot), and I already have many, many started plants..... There's no backing out now!

Besides, as of a half hour ago, we finished getting rid of all the sod and tilling one of our new (and largest) garden areas. It's on now :)

I love squashes! The sweeter ones that you could try might be Sweet Dumpling and Delicata. I have actually made a curry soup with Australian Butter (that's my all time favorite though and I make everything with it). Galuex d'Eysines have a super velvety texture. Butternut Waltham was delicious on it's own with some butter, and awesome in a sweet casserole I made. Black Futsu has a hazelnut flavor. It was my veterinarian's favorite squash I gave him! He absolutely raved about it. The White Acorn was very mild compared to other Acorn types. These are all winter squashes. Were you thinking of winter or summer squashes or both?

I already got two summer squash varieties, so winter was EXACTLY what I was looking for! So far I seem to like/adapt to those a bit better than the summer squash. Plus I like the fact that you can store them.

So is mild with the white acorn a good thing or...? I am asking because that's one I actually stumbled upon and was considering. I'll have to be honest that part of why I wanted it is because I think it's "pretty" ;) Plus it had good reviews.

So now I'm going to look up your other suggestions!

I already got two summer squash varieties, so winter was EXACTLY what I was looking for! So far I seem to like/adapt to those a bit better than the summer squash. Plus I like the fact that you can store them.

So is mild with the white acorn a good thing or...? I am asking because that's one I actually stumbled upon and was considering. I'll have to be honest that part of why I wanted it is because I think it's "pretty" ;) Plus it had good reviews.

So now I'm going to look up your other suggestions!
Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with growing veggies because you think they are pretty! That's exactly the reason I bought the Fish Pepper, it's beautiful foliage! Anyway, back to the squash. To me, I liked the White Acorn the best out of the Table Queen and Gil's Golden Pippen, which are Acorn varieties. It's just my personal preference. The White Acorn matured very fast, is a bush type, so perfect for small gardens and was very prolific! I think you will really like it.

Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with growing veggies because you think they are pretty! That's exactly the reason I bought the Fish Pepper, it's beautiful foliage! Anyway, back to the squash. To me, I liked the White Acorn the best out of the Table Queen and Gil's Golden Pippen, which are Acorn varieties. It's just my personal preference. The White Acorn matured very fast, is a bush type, so perfect for small gardens and was very prolific! I think you will really like it.

Thank you! I appreciate the help. Where were you when I was picking out all of my other seeds! ;) And seeing as you aren't too far in the relative scheme of things, it's nice to know what to expect! All of my neighbors plant hybrids, so I can't really ask them (not that I'm complaining--that's the only thing I've planted before this year!).

Though.... Now I have 5 squashes in my shopping cart and will have to figure out how to pare it down to 2 or 3! LOL.

I think my favorites are Jaune gros De Paris, and Blue hubbard. Pumpkin pie made with Jaune has no equal. And what would thanksgiving be without the old fashion taste of Blue Hubbard? Still its hard to beat tossing acorn squash in the microwave and giving them a quick zap--- presto insta meal. I find the dark green acorns store the best long term. Jaunes will hold till may. Thing is about them they had been around so long, and they kept those poor peasants of paris alive because they could be stored no fridge needed. Also you just cant beat the old stand by New england sugar pie. Good yields easy to grow ,easy to handle, store well, taste great. Whats not to like? I think my favorite appearance wise is the Rouge Vif De Entampe. Yeah I am a pumpkin person. Every year I say man I have to cut back. I never do, I over do. Cant change that . Garden on people, Garden on!

Back
Top Bottom