Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I don't know. Maybe it's different according to where you show or maybe the rules just aren't enforced here. I also show call ducks and one of my hens has won BV at an ABA show with no legband. I have seen some birds showing with the metal close end bands, but very few. 99% of them have the colored spiral bands in whichever combination the breeder uses to identify certain breeders.

A numbered leg band is required to show a bird. The number on the leg needs to match the number on the exibition card. I can't remember the size number but most poultry catalogs have a chart that show which size goes for each breed. I thinks is a size 5 or 6, but I'm not sure.
After a show I always take the numbered leg bands off. I've started using colored zip ties. I can remember a color better than a number. Of course I also write everything down. I have seen birds with 5 different bands on the same leg.
hu.gif

Neither the APA or the ABA require leg bands for exhibition in their sanctioned shows.
I'm not sure what show you're referencing that requires bands but it must be a local show requirement. Do you show at a Fair or in a 4H type show>

Years ago when I exhibited waterfowl, I had to have leg bands for them. Has there been a change in rules or was it different for waterfowl?

In Runner Ducks numbered bands or some identifying device is required because Runners are taken out of their cages & judged as a group on the ground. Don't know why you'd have been required to band other waterfowl.

It is possible being naive and new to poultry shows that I misunderstood with a lot new information being thrown at me all at once. Would still like to have leg bands just for my personal record keeping.

Thanks for the providing the correct info RE: leg bands & exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom