Help! 2 dead chicks!

BarnesFarm2019

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Good morning. I bought 4 chicks Tuesday from Tractor Supply (Bantams) and put them in the Brooder pen with my four silkies that I hatched myself last week. Two of the Tractor Supply phantoms have died in two days and there are two left. I am worried they are going to get my silkies ill. Should I remove them???

What are you feed them?
What is the temp in the brooder?
Can you post a picture of the brooder?

The silkies are perfect. I had gotten 2 brown and 2 grey bantams from TS Tuesday. The 2 brown are dead.

Attachments

• 60B2B133-6B44-4EAE-937D-2E2E5E6B5C19.jpeg
    60B2B133-6B44-4EAE-937D-2E2E5E6B5C19.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 12
I don't like heat plates because the one I had was silly and it was WAYYY too hot. I threw it away.

I highly doubt the TSC chicks came with a disease. It is possible they didn't travel well and were too stressed. I would not seperate the chicks.

Just make sure you see them eating and make sure you don't offer cold water.

Good morning. I bought 4 chicks Tuesday from Tractor Supply (Bantams) and put them in the Brooder pen with my four silkies that I hatched myself last week. Two of the Tractor Supply phantoms have died in two days and there are two left. I am worried they are going to get my silkies ill. Should I remove them???
This happened to four of my Rural King chicks once. I think it’s a combination of vitamin deficiency and poor breeding.

I don't like heat plates because the one I had was silly and it was WAYYY too hot. I threw it away.

I highly doubt the TSC chicks came with a disease. It is possible they didn't travel well and were too stressed. I would not seperate the chicks.

Just make sure you see them eating and make sure you don't offer cold water.
Thank you!!!

When we buy day old chicks from a feed store that had just come in the USPS that day or the day before, they are all suffering to a certain extent from shipping stress, including dehydration.

Then when you buy them and bring them home, that adds more stress on top of the first stress. I've gotten new chicks home, installed them in the brooder, and saw them collapse into prostrate and limp half alive pathetic things. I have no doubt at all, they would have died if I hadn't been prepared with my concoction of sugar water and Poultry Nutri-drench.

I pick up each chick and syringe the high glucose nutrition into each chick, repeating it each half hour until the chicks are racing around like normal chicks.

This time of year, most deaths of new chicks are from shipping stress that people don't recognize as the life threatening issue that it is until it's too late.

When we buy day old chicks from a feed store that had just come in the USPS that day or the day before, they are all suffering to a certain extent from shipping stress, including dehydration.

Then when you buy them and bring them home, that adds more stress on top of the first stress. I've gotten new chicks home, installed them in the brooder, and saw them collapse into prostrate and limp half alive pathetic things. I have no doubt at all, they would have died if I hadn't been prepared with my concoction of sugar water and Poultry Nutri-drench.

I pick up each chick and syringe the high glucose nutrition into each chick, repeating it each half hour until the chicks are racing around like normal chicks.

This time of year, most deaths of new chicks are from shipping stress that people don't recognize as the life threatening issue that it is until it's too late.
I think you are exactly right!

Back
Top Bottom