Help! A dog is killing my chickens!

I think getting rid of the problem is easier than begging pet owners to be responsible,or taking them to court to recoup losses.That is stressfull,and more often than not a waste of time.

SSS

You are right they should fence in their dog,but they just don't care enough to do that.So that leaves you stressed and angry,and YOUR animals getting killed while you try to get them to do right.

I fenced my yard for my animals,and to deter all trespassers.I no longer bother with pet owners.If they let their animals roam then they certainly know sometimes animals never make it home.Their choice.

As someone who has lost seven chickens in the past few months by one lonesome dog,(had a chicken get killed right against my house three days ago) I would say lock your chickens up until you get rid of the problem! We have went to lengths to get the owner of said dog to keep the dog in their OWN yard and feed it, cause it is hungry enough to eat my chicken, not just tear it up. Once when we confronted them about it, their dog came up to us face COVERED in blood. I use to shoot to scare, that does not work. I am not heartless but if I see that dog in my yard I will aim to kill. We have no animal control and if you call the cops they tell you to shoot it. Out here it is called protecting your livestock. Chances are, if it is a dog their owner knows that their dog is a killer. Protect your chickens, lock them up while you are at work and get rid of the problem, that is all I have to tell you.

I have a 5 acre farm and raise(d) free range organic pastured chickens. The pasture is fenced. The chickens have a large secure coop at night and a tight secure run. In addtion, because the run is dirt and not grass, I also let the chickens out during the day to improve the quality of their eggs for my egg customers. Pastured eggs have oranger yolks. Plus, as mentioned, the pasture is fenced. Unfortunately, the dog is creeping under the fence or digging under the fence. It is the ONLY dog in the neighborhood that is off leash. The rancher on the other side has complained as well. In this rural area, it is against the law for dogs to kill or harass livestock including poultry. It is also against the law for dogs in this county to be unleashed. I lost between $500 and $800 in chickens in a very short period of time, PLUS I'm faced with re-fencing my entire farm.

This post is old as I've gone out of business. I am presently reducing my flock to a small home flock for my needs only, and keeping them in the coop and dirt run. I admit now that I made a mistake. Instead of repairing fencing and getting game cams and discussing the situation with my neighbor, I should have taken a day off work and just shot the dog and left him in my pasture for the family to see when they got home from soccer practice in order to convince them that their dog really was in my pasture. Sometimes life just sucks and there isn't a good answer to a problem.

I have a 5 acre farm and raise(d) free range organic pastured chickens. The pasture is fenced. The chickens have a large secure coop at night and a tight secure run. In addtion, because the run is dirt and not grass, I also let the chickens out during the day to improve the quality of their eggs for my egg customers. Pastured eggs have oranger yolks. Plus, as mentioned, the pasture is fenced. Unfortunately, the dog is creeping under the fence or digging under the fence. It is the ONLY dog in the neighborhood that is off leash. The rancher on the other side has complained as well. In this rural area, it is against the law for dogs to kill or harass livestock including poultry. It is also against the law for dogs in this county to be unleashed. I lost between $500 and $800 in chickens in a very short period of time, PLUS I'm faced with re-fencing my entire farm.

This post is old as I've gone out of business. I am presently reducing my flock to a small home flock for my needs only, and keeping them in the coop and dirt run. I admit now that I made a mistake. Instead of repairing fencing and getting game cams and discussing the situation with my neighbor, I should have taken a day off work and just shot the dog and left him in my pasture for the family to see when they got home from soccer practice in order to convince them that their dog really was in my pasture. Sometimes life just sucks and there isn't a good answer to a problem.

I am so sorry to hear that! I have small children and I understand your not wanting the neighbors kids to suffer the loss of their dog. However, while it would very much have sucked for them - it would have served as a valuable lesson to them that having a pet is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly. Just as children need to learn that food doesn't just magically appear in grocery stores - they also need to learn that animals are not people, and shouldn't be treated like them. An education isn't free or painless.

Best of luck to you in your future ventures!!

I treat all my animals like people, they may not be people, but we are all animals! Haha. I don't think anyone's kids deserve to be traumatized, I know where my food comes from, and it isn't from my neighbors dog. ;)

I wish people would learn to control their dogs though. It's not fair to anyone that is involved. Talking to your neighbors and telling them might help, but if it doesn't having proof it was their dog and preceding the legal way would be the best option. Are you in the country? In my area a dog off it's leash is a pretty good fine, or reason for seizure if it is caught off it's leash.

Killing the dog could also cause trouble. Neighbors that hate you are not good neighbors, and if they believe their dog is valuable enough it is their property and they could seek legal council against you, even though it was in your yard! I heard a story through the grapevine (so I don't know how valid it is) that a dog in its own yard killed a trespassing dog and the owners of the dead dog sued and won! It's a sue happy country and everyone is out to make a buck and a head line. Be careful OP. I hope you find a solution one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom