Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

Tevyes Dad

Leader of the Quack
8 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hello, this morning my wife found Casey with blood coming out of her vent and brought her in. I looked at it and it was a little prolapsed (about 1/2" of inside was outside). I felt her for an egg and couldn't feel one. I sent Yvonne back out to look for an egg with blood on it and we put Casey in a tub with warm water. Yvonne found the egg and since Casey has been in the tub she has pooped thrice and wiggled her butt a lot. The poop was not bloody. So I'm fairly certain she is not currently egg bound and she may have fixed her prolapse herself for all I know. When she came in, it seemed like quite a bit of blood (maybe a tsp?), but she doesn't seem to be bloodying up the water much after an initial rinse. She seems happy and normal. So I figure I will let her swim a half hour to an hour with frequent water changes to relax and clean everything. Yvonne is watching her now while I type this. So my questions are:

I have both K-Y and Prep H, which should I use if I have to reinsert her prolapsed area?

What else should I be looking for?

What other questions should I have asked?

@Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@casportpony

Who else should I have paged?

This is my first prolapse so I only know what I have read so far here. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hello, this morning my wife found Casey with blood coming out of her vent and brought her in. I looked at it and it was a little prolapsed (about 1/2" of inside was outside). I felt her for an egg and couldn't feel one. I sent Yvonne back out to look for an egg with blood on it and we put Casey in a tub with warm water. Yvonne found the egg and since Casey has been in the tub she has pooped thrice and wiggled her butt a lot. The poop was not bloody. So I'm fairly certain she is not currently egg bound and she may have fixed her prolapse herself for all I know. When she came in, it seemed like quite a bit of blood (maybe a tsp?), but she doesn't seem to be bloodying up the water much after an initial rinse. She seems happy and normal. So I figure I will let her swim a half hour to an hour with frequent water changes to relax and clean everything. Yvonne is watching her now while I type this. So my questions are:

I have both K-Y and Prep H, which should I use if I have to reinsert her prolapsed area?

What else should I be looking for?

What other questions should I have asked?

@Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@casportpony

Who else should I have paged?

This is my first prolapse so I only know what I have read so far here. Thanks for your help.
Getting her soaking is a good thing. now that she is cleaned up what are you seeing? You can try either actually the Prep H is suppose to help with swelling and the KY is to lube it up to try and get it back inside If she was mine I use the prep h first. I know when Amiga had one of her ducks prolapse the vet put in a stitch or 2 to keep it inside. That doesn't always have to be done depends on how bad the prolapse is but Maybe you should place her in a semi dark room with quiet to see if she will not lay for a few days to let this heal. @Tevyes Dad Keeping the area moist so it doesn't dry out is important since this isn't suppose to be outside.

Last edited:
Ok, I will get a pic if there is anything to see when she comes out of the bath. She just did her fourth poop with no sign of blood. She is getting antsy to get out of the tub now, so I will take her out inspect, take pics if applicable and post.

Here are a couple photos of her prolapse. You can clearly see where she was bleeding from, so I am sure the bleeding is stopped. I don't know exactly what I'm looking at. The two growths near my finger are rough and look and feel like dried poop, but she was just swimming and they are attached to the flesh pretty good, so I don't know if they are very dry poop, or frost-bit flesh, or normal. I wiped everything down with prep H. I am hesitant to put them back in if they aren't normal. I don't know that I can get a vet today and I would rather not leave here this way until tomorrow. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Is normal "indoor" dark enough or will she need to be under a blanket/sheet in a kennel to keep her egg machine off?

We tried all the vets in town. Still waiting on one call back, but so far none of the vets that are comfortable with looking at ducks are available until tomorrow. I tried wiping the poop looking things with a wet white washcloth, and nothing came off on it so if it is poop, it is real solid. If not ???? I looked at other pictures of prolapses and can't find anything that looks remotely like that. We are putting her back in the tub to soak some more. I read that keeping those tissues moist is important so I will try between bathtub and prep-H to keep them from drying out. If the poop looking things are tissues, then it is probably too late for them and they may have to have surgery (why we are calling the vets) because I don't want to insert everything and introduce necro-whatever issues.

Is normal "indoor" dark enough or will she need to be under a blanket/sheet in a kennel to keep her egg machine off?
A sheet or blanket over the crate may help.

Here are a couple photos of her prolapse. You can clearly see where she was bleeding from, so I am sure the bleeding is stopped. I don't know exactly what I'm looking at. The two growths near my finger are rough and look and feel like dried poop, but she was just swimming and they are attached to the flesh pretty good, so I don't know if they are very dry poop, or frost-bit flesh, or normal. I wiped everything down with prep H. I am hesitant to put them back in if they aren't normal. I don't know that I can get a vet today and I would rather not leave here this way until tomorrow. Any ideas? Thanks.
I am not sure what that is either seems soaking would loosen it up if poop Have you tried breaking it up with your fingers. while she is in the water. I really don't know I haven't seen anything like that and i have seen some pic of pretty bad prolapses. Just keep them lubed up with Prep H till you here back from a vet.

No luck from the one outstanding vet (they were the least likely to be able to help anyway.) Looks like I am solo. I took another pic after she preened dry last time. It appears to be a hard poop shell around some tissue, so she is back in the tub for more soaking. Next time she comes out I will try to get it all off and put her back together.

This pic is also clearer. I really wish I knew what those things were. I can's see them pointing inward being right. Guess I'll see what they look like after the next soak.

No luck from the one outstanding vet (they were the least likely to be able to help anyway.) Looks like I am solo. I took another pic after she preened dry last time. It appears to be a hard poop shell around some tissue, so she is back in the tub for more soaking. Next time she comes out I will try to get it all off and put her back together.

This pic is also clearer. I really wish I knew what those things were. I can's see them pointing inward being right. Guess I'll see what they look like after the next soak.

Gosh I just don't know what they could be . You'd think the soaking would soften then enough they would fall off if poop It doesn't look like tissue though I don't see how you could push that back inside.

Back
Top Bottom