Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

We did try cat kibble we still had from trying it last summer/fall when the flock started molting. Most of the ducks didn't like it much and I don't remember where she was on it. Tevye is the only one that ate the cat kibble like crazy - probably all the assorted colors. I think that she just generally doesn't have much of an appetite for anything, but favorite treats can override that feeling to a limited extent. Today is only her 4th day without antibiotics and although she had a day with yogurt and is getting probiotics in her water, I don't know how long it should take to get her appetite back. Especially when her crop is being filled twice / day. I will certainly ask the vet about it as well as observations about the dried on poop (haven't seen it in 2 days), tail wiggling, when she should stop getting silver polish on her butt, when she should be able to see the light of day (that could be depressing her if she is feeling well and might throw off her eating too) and when she should be able to go outside - once she is eating normally of course (I would put Kaine and Tevye in the jail for at least a couple weeks if I reintroduced her and all seemed well.)
Your so funny so you think Tevye liked the assorted colors? lol

All the others may have to have sun glasses when Casey goes back outside her butt will be so shiny from all that silver polish.

Poor thing is still in the dark too. That could very well be one reason her appetite is off. {Cave Duck}

Well all I can say is I am very impressed with all you and Yvonne have done and the great care she is getting.

Picture the softest leather gloves made of the most supple leather you have ever touched... Like that but softer.
Thanks! I will do better once I get the other tube. The other birds are acting normally. Allie got a bath a bit back and went into the vet with Casey so she probably reported back to the outside ducks that Casey was fine and living it up in the warm place with the bathtub. They will probably make fun of her when she goes back into the yard: "Nya nya - caretaker's favorite...
tongue.gif
"
Eee, that is so precious about webs. It just is proof that ducks are sweet and cute all around.

Aww, Allie went to the vet with Casey. I love that. It was a big support for having her "sister" go in with her.

If the others make fun of her when she gets back outside she can just stick her ducky tongue out at them.

This morning she was up to 3lbs, 12.7oz. So made up for her loss yesterday plus some. This might have to do with her helping out a bit. She had about 80 peas yesterday (and she's had about 20 so far today already.) Peas are lower on the treat scale than meal worms so that means she is more willing to eat. Yesterday she also showed true appetite going after meal worms. Her food cup (which she had over night) shows no real sign of her eating from it.

We took Casey into the vet. Her initial visit weight was 4lbs even. So for base line I have 4lbs (right after prolapse and just laid an egg) and 4lbs, 4oz from May. Half of that weight could easily be egg weight so at least while she's egg free, I would think 4lbs-4lbs,2oz would be "right" Today the vet weighed her at 3lbs,13oz, so if she can pack on another 3 oz, I will keep monitoring her weight and only tube feed "as needed". That way she can get good and hungry and not live on only mealworms, peas and bon-bons.

The vet said she looked good. She still has some dried poop/scabs but they are surface only now rather than large pieces. So we will keep applying the silver polish. We will start giving her 8 hrs of light exposure / day (still in the kennel, just not covered with towels). This will go for a couple weeks, then we will add 2 hours. Or put her out with the flock. We have nearly 9 hrs of daylight currently and one duck is putting out an egg occasionally. Of course we will watch that the weather isn't horribly cold when she first goes out (20F - 30F would probably be alright).

This morning she was up to 3lbs, 12.7oz. So made up for her loss yesterday plus some. This might have to do with her helping out a bit. She had about 80 peas yesterday (and she's had about 20 so far today already.) Peas are lower on the treat scale than meal worms so that means she is more willing to eat. Yesterday she also showed true appetite going after meal worms. Her food cup (which she had over night) shows no real sign of her eating from it.
80 peas wow. and going after those meal worms too Yay for Casey . Still no appetite for her feed though. Humm Me thinks she is spoiled. lol

We took Casey into the vet. Her initial visit weight was 4lbs even. So for base line I have 4lbs (right after prolapse and just laid an egg) and 4lbs, 4oz from May. Half of that weight could easily be egg weight so at least while she's egg free, I would think 4lbs-4lbs,2oz would be "right" Today the vet weighed her at 3lbs,13oz, so if she can pack on another 3 oz, I will keep monitoring her weight and only tube feed "as needed". That way she can get good and hungry and not live on only mealworms, peas and bon-bons.

The vet said she looked good. She still has some dried poop/scabs but they are surface only now rather than large pieces. So we will keep applying the silver polish. We will start giving her 8 hrs of light exposure / day (still in the kennel, just not covered with towels). This will go for a couple weeks, then we will add 2 hours. Or put her out with the flock. We have nearly 9 hrs of daylight currently and one duck is putting out an egg occasionally. Of course we will watch that the weather isn't horribly cold when she first goes out (20F - 30F would probably be alright).
Great to hear the vet said she looked good. Wait bon- bons???

I know she will appreciate being in the light again did she get her stitches out?

Great to hear the vet said she looked good. Wait bon- bons???

I know she will appreciate being in the light again did she get her stitches out?
Kidding with the bon-bons
gig.gif
Dogs, cats, ducks: chocolate kills! But you got it right, she is spoiled... based on her poops, from the inside out!

Stitches: when I checked her yesterday night, one was already gone and the other one was through one of those scabby poop things so I cut a loop in it so that one side has the knot and the other doesn't and left it. When I went to the vet I told her about those and she said it would dissolve and thought it would be better to leave it than aggravate it pulling it out (it was pretty tight). Plus now if Casey pulls it a little while preening, it will either hurt and she'll stop or it will just irritate and she'll yank it out. It is small enough that I wouldn't worry about her eating it. I'll check it when putting on silver butt polish.

Back
Top Bottom