Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

idunno.gif
3lbs, 15.1oz.... I know she ate decent yesterday, plus she got her tube feeds... I looked up Khaki Campbell on Metzer's site (where she came from) and their weight controlled layers run from 3.5-4.5 lbs. Maybe if her egg machine hasn't kicked in, this is where she should be??? It certainly isn't a starving weight as she actually never had even a slightly pronounced keel and she is almost in the middle of the "target weight". The last 3 days she has been within 1oz of 4 lbs and she has been moulting so while I don't think the feathers weigh much that she's losing, perhaps much of the energy she is taking in is producing her new feathers. I am thinking of letting her go until 3 or 4 in the afternoon (with food and water available and weighing her again. If she hasn't gone down, maybe check again at 8pm. Again if she hasn't gone down 11pm/midnight. And if she still hasn't gone down, tomorrow morning. I will be out of town Tuesday-Thursday next week and Yvonne isn't really up to speed on the tube feeding yet. So we will have to decide if Casey can eat across those days (I doubt this would be a health concern unless she stops all of a sudden) or Yvonne needs a crash course right away.

idunno.gif
3lbs, 15.1oz.... I know she ate decent yesterday, plus she got her tube feeds... I looked up Khaki Campbell on Metzer's site (where she came from) and their weight controlled layers run from 3.5-4.5 lbs. Maybe if her egg machine hasn't kicked in, this is where she should be??? It certainly isn't a starving weight as she actually never had even a slightly pronounced keel and she is almost in the middle of the "target weight". The last 3 days she has been within 1oz of 4 lbs and she has been moulting so while I don't think the feathers weigh much that she's losing, perhaps much of the energy she is taking in is producing her new feathers. I am thinking of letting her go until 3 or 4 in the afternoon (with food and water available and weighing her again. If she hasn't gone down, maybe check again at 8pm. Again if she hasn't gone down 11pm/midnight. And if she still hasn't gone down, tomorrow morning. I will be out of town Tuesday-Thursday next week and Yvonne isn't really up to speed on the tube feeding yet. So we will have to decide if Casey can eat across those days (I doubt this would be a health concern unless she stops all of a sudden) or Yvonne needs a crash course right away.

She sounds like she's within a good weight range, to me. Our Runners are between 3 and 4.5 pounds, and I believe KCs are about in that range. Our Khaki-Rouen mix girl is a little on the hefty side, but still around 4 pounds (I think 3 of her grandparents were Khakis, one a Rouen).

hugs.gif

She sounds like she's within a good weight range, to me. Our Runners are between 3 and 4.5 pounds, and I believe KCs are about in that range. Our Khaki-Rouen mix girl is a little on the hefty side, but still around 4 pounds (I think 3 of her grandparents were Khakis, one a Rouen).

hugs.gif
I think so. Entie is our poster child for keel. She eats tons, but is so active all the time zip, zip, zip, swim, dive, zip that she is always skinny.

You can see her lower keel here and the ONLY reason you can't see it on her breast is because she just gorged herself on watermelon.
gig.gif

Well Casey went the entire weekend without any tube feeding. I monitored her weight several times / day. The lowest she ever got was 3lbs, 14.4oz, but she weighed 3lbs, 15.5oz this morning. She is eating a lot of peas when she is out "socializing", but she has eaten some food that is available 24/7. I think after a day of not being tube fed, she felt hungry and decided to eat some. I feel good enough about it that I don't think we need to worry about my road trip. I am sure she won't be in a medical crisis (due to eating anyway by Thursday afternoon). We will continue to monitor her weight, and I think as long as she stays above 3lbs, 12oz (as an absolute low - not an average), we can give her her own head.

She is still continuing to molt like crazy. I have spent a lot of time on the house duck thread and there is not nearly enough complaining about molting going on there... It's their dirty little secret. They talk about diapers sure, but that's the first thing one thinks about when bringing a duck in the house. They don't talk about when Casey is all better and reintegrated into the flock, if I want to completely cleanse my house of her feathers I will just have to douse the whole place with kerosene, light a match, then build a new house. Even that won't work 'cause my whole back yard is full of feathers, so the new house would end up with feathers in the walls, ducting and electrical boxes.
gig.gif

Well, I'm back for the weekend. @MamaDux has been doing a great job taking care of Casey (and the other 14 ducks). Casey has fluctuated between 3lbs 14oz and 3lbs 15oz the entire time with no tube feedings. I think she is maintaining herself fine. We did hit another cold snap with negative temperatures and Casey has been molting like crazy, so my current thinking is that she will continue to live inside until we are looking at at least 3-4 days in a row above 10F for a low. That will give her time to acclimate and increase her eating before any possible severe lows. Then I will put her out with Kaine and Tevye restrained for at least a week. Then fully reintegrate with close observation. I would like to expose her to Kaine before he goes nuts again so he can get the "reintroduction to the flock" out of the way before he just generally goes crazy
roll.png
Hopefully if he gets too far out of hand, or she still isn't feeling all right, she will remember that she can kick his butt.

Well, I'm back for the weekend. @MamaDux has been doing a great job taking care of Casey (and the other 14 ducks). Casey has fluctuated between 3lbs 14oz and 3lbs 15oz the entire time with no tube feedings. I think she is maintaining herself fine. We did hit another cold snap with negative temperatures and Casey has been molting like crazy, so my current thinking is that she will continue to live inside until we are looking at at least 3-4 days in a row above 10F for a low. That will give her time to acclimate and increase her eating before any possible severe lows. Then I will put her out with Kaine and Tevye restrained for at least a week. Then fully reintegrate with close observation. I would like to expose her to Kaine before he goes nuts again so he can get the "reintroduction to the flock" out of the way before he just generally goes crazy
roll.png
Hopefully if he gets too far out of hand, or she still isn't feeling all right, she will remember that she can kick his butt.
Great news!! On Casey and @MamaDux great team you got there @Tevyes Dad
highfive.gif

That sounds like Casey is doing well and must be eating good too. I would keep her in too if she is molting or get her a down vest to wear till all feathers are back in..

One of my Buffs is molting but we're having spring here.
roll.png
Last week we had single digits now we're in the 50-60's. Crazy weather.

Back
Top Bottom