Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

I agree with Miss Lydia - sounds like the antibiotics are doing their work - they kill healthy gut bacteria as well as the pathogens.

There are probiotic mixes for poultry available - you may want to look into that...

hugs.gif

love.gif

@Miss Lydia, @ Amiga:
Okay, I had already typed a reply but it disappeared. Grrrr. Operator error, I'm certain lol
Anyway, to the pic Tony posted - while it's not flattering, it doesn't matter as it shows my concern and most importantly it shows the trust this little duck placed in me. That's all that matters and I am truly humbled by that.

Now for the continued good news: No egg, sore parts are looking good and patient is happy and very much intent on getting into mischief around the house. She's back to her curious, engaging self and I am loving it. As for the nasty poops, I'm just glad that I can take care of ny laundry here. That smell is something else: Makes skunk smell like a fragrant flower lol

Thank you both for the advice re: the feed. May have to try that. Right now I'm just happy that she eats lettuce, takes a few wormies and drinks her fill.

Tony should be home shortly. He landed 30 min. ago. We have our work cut out for us today - need to put down new bedding in the duck house and lay out some straw in the kennel. At least I freed our driveway and walkways from snow this morning by testing out our snowblower for the first time. I looked like a snow woman when I was done lol. Still trying to get warm..

Well, hugs to both you wonderful human beans and thank you again. Couldnt have gotten this far without your kindness and caring support.

Will keep you posted of course.

@Miss Lydia, @ Amiga:
Okay, I had already typed a reply but it disappeared. Grrrr. Operator error, I'm certain lol
Anyway, to the pic Tony posted - while it's not flattering, it doesn't matter as it shows my concern and most importantly it shows the trust this little duck placed in me. That's all that matters and I am truly humbled by that.

Now for the continued good news: No egg, sore parts are looking good and patient is happy and very much intent on getting into mischief around the house. She's back to her curious, engaging self and I am loving it. As for the nasty poops, I'm just glad that I can take care of ny laundry here. That smell is something else: Makes skunk smell like a fragrant flower lol

Thank you both for the advice re: the feed. May have to try that. Right now I'm just happy that she eats lettuce, takes a few wormies and drinks her fill.

Tony should be home shortly. He landed 30 min. ago. We have our work cut out for us today - need to put down new bedding in the duck house and lay out some straw in the kennel. At least I freed our driveway and walkways from snow this morning by testing out our snowblower for the first time. I looked like a snow woman when I was done lol. Still trying to get warm..

Well, hugs to both you wonderful human beans and thank you again. Couldnt have gotten this far without your kindness and caring support.

Will keep you posted of course.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling knowing they trust us. and it surely shows with Casey.
Great news no egg again giving her time to heal.

I know you all will be happy to be back together again. Enjoy your work

We're just happy as ducks in a mud puddle to be here to help.
hugs.gif

Update: Casey seems to be doing fine. With the mushroom treatment, she hasn't laid an egg in 3 days
yippiechickie.gif
. Right now she has a little fold that I can see/feel on the back of her vent when I put on her cream that makes it look a little like an "outie" belly button, but it is all inside her and she is pooping fine (although the stinky is turned up extra high
sickbyc.gif
). I plan on taking her into the vet as soon as I can next week for a check up and to look at that fold and make sure it is OK. (Yvonne will be back to work, and I will have to see what time I have available. Right now it looks like Monday will be a day trip, but on the road, but I think Casey will be fine for 8 hrs in her dark fortress of solitude.) If all goes well, we might release her to the flock next weekend (once the weather warms up to "normal cold") today, it was -25F at 10:30am but the sun was out, and all the ducks were out in the straw, not in their house. Casey comes out every couple hours during the day for food and drink and a little socialization. Well just now, when we let her out, she stepped on the soup mug (with handle) that we had her food in. One foot square on the middle and the other half over the edge. I stabilized it by holding it and she just stayed there... So I lifted it off the ground and asked Yvonne if she would like a cup-o-duck
gig.gif
. Casey just stood there. Neither one of us had our phones handy, so no picture
sad.png
. I finally set it back down, duck and all. She stepped out of the food, and into the other soup mug with C-O-B (Corn,oats,barley) that she had, then she stepped out of that and into her water cup. Boy was she being bratty! Finally, she put her bill in her water, then did some swimming motions... Ahhhhhhh! the dense humans finally got it, she wanted a bath (she hadn't gotten one today). Well now she's had her bath and is preening dry. Once she's dry, she will get creamed up and put back in the dark. She is really a good patient there. All the other ducks we have had in hate being alone, and object several times/day. She just rests and relaxes, then is engaging when she comes out. I think she would be a house duck in a minute if there was an opening.
big_smile.png

Yvonne says hi to everyone and wanted me to tell @Miss Lydia and @Amiga that Casey decided she wanted soggy food all on her own. She has been dragging the water into her food cup to make it soggy all by herself.

Update: Casey seems to be doing fine. With the mushroom treatment, she hasn't laid an egg in 3 days
yippiechickie.gif
. Right now she has a little fold that I can see/feel on the back of her vent when I put on her cream that makes it look a little like an "outie" belly button, but it is all inside her and she is pooping fine (although the stinky is turned up extra high
sickbyc.gif
). I plan on taking her into the vet as soon as I can next week for a check up and to look at that fold and make sure it is OK. (Yvonne will be back to work, and I will have to see what time I have available. Right now it looks like Monday will be a day trip, but on the road, but I think Casey will be fine for 8 hrs in her dark fortress of solitude.) If all goes well, we might release her to the flock next weekend (once the weather warms up to "normal cold") today, it was -25F at 10:30am but the sun was out, and all the ducks were out in the straw, not in their house. Casey comes out every couple hours during the day for food and drink and a little socialization. Well just now, when we let her out, she stepped on the soup mug (with handle) that we had her food in. One foot square on the middle and the other half over the edge. I stabilized it by holding it and she just stayed there... So I lifted it off the ground and asked Yvonne if she would like a cup-o-duck
gig.gif
. Casey just stood there. Neither one of us had our phones handy, so no picture
sad.png
. I finally set it back down, duck and all. She stepped out of the food, and into the other soup mug with C-O-B (Corn,oats,barley) that she had, then she stepped out of that and into her water cup. Boy was she being bratty! Finally, she put her bill in her water, then did some swimming motions... Ahhhhhhh! the dense humans finally got it, she wanted a bath (she hadn't gotten one today). Well now she's had her bath and is preening dry. Once she's dry, she will get creamed up and put back in the dark. She is really a good patient there. All the other ducks we have had in hate being alone, and object several times/day. She just rests and relaxes, then is engaging when she comes out. I think she would be a house duck in a minute if there was an opening.
big_smile.png

Yvonne says hi to everyone and wanted me to tell @Miss Lydia and @Amiga that Casey decided she wanted soggy food all on her own. She has been dragging the water into her food cup to make it soggy all by herself.
This is better than a comedy on TV. Made me laugh out loud.

Sounds like she is doing great and getting her point across as to what she wants. Sounds like alot of fun even if why she is inside was serious. Just so happy she is doing so well and yall have kept your sense of humor through it all. I entirely forgot how well they can make their own feed soupy with out any help from us
roll.png
how I did that is amazing because I see it every day.

I love the cup of duck . lol ps Keep that phone handy!!

Yesterday I scheduled Casey for a follow up visit today and scheduled Allie for a checkup.

Why Allie, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... She's the kid in school with the inhaler and the nasal voice. From the time she was a little 'ling, she always seemed to pant a bit. Not a lot where it was an immediate concern, but not quite "normal". When she was really small she had extra small nares - so small she couldn't even get a piece of crumble stuck if she wanted to. As she grew, so did her bill and her nares, but they never seemed to pass quite enough air. We checked her for puffy cheeks, or runny nares / eyes or abnormally red eyes (she is a Pekin, so she has a little of that bunny around the eyelid thing going on, but no more than Tevye) and looked inside her mouth, never found anything. When she was young we even got her some VetRX and wiped it on her bill/nares. It would give her very temporary relief. Everything seemed normal and she was otherwise happy and thriving, so we decided to see if she would grow out of it. She didn't. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't gasp each breath, but today when I put her in the tub, I could plainly hear her breathing. When I pick her up, I can hear her breathe. This isn't true with any of my other ducks and wasn't true of Snow, so I know it isn't typical. Since she is now up to her 10 lb cruising weight and we had been seeing the vet anyway, we decided it was time to have her checked just in case it was something more than a somewhat constricted air path. The vet listened to her heart and lungs and even the air going through her sinuses and said it all sounded normal. She looked at her eyes, nares and inside her mouth and said it all looked good. No signs of any bacterial or fungal infections. In that moment you couldn't really hear her breathe at rest either, so I lifted her up. When I do that, she hangs her head a little, then you can hear her breathe, so the vet knew I wasn't making it up. She said as far as she could tell Allie seemed healthy, but she would do some asking on "the vet version of BYC" (my words) and see if anyone thought different.

When I scheduled Casey, it was for a follow up. Casey seemed to be fine and in fact was getting a bit restless wanting not to be confined all day. Last night though she prolapsed again. She didn't have an egg, but I guess she was just irritated enough and inflamed enough and pushed hard enough that she popped back out. Now she had stayed together for 3-4 days with no stitches and no eggs so, the vet cleaned her up again and stitched her up again. If we can keep her from laying an egg for a couple weeks, then hopefully the stitches will keep her right-side-in and she will heal. I am supposed to take the stitches out in 2 weeks if all goes well. We also got some more of the anti-inflamatory and a different antibiotic, Doxycycline. And we still are applying her silver butt polish
gig.gif

Yesterday I scheduled Casey for a follow up visit today and scheduled Allie for a checkup.

Why Allie, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... She's the kid in school with the inhaler and the nasal voice. From the time she was a little 'ling, she always seemed to pant a bit. Not a lot where it was an immediate concern, but not quite "normal". When she was really small she had extra small nares - so small she couldn't even get a piece of crumble stuck if she wanted to. As she grew, so did her bill and her nares, but they never seemed to pass quite enough air. We checked her for puffy cheeks, or runny nares / eyes or abnormally red eyes (she is a Pekin, so she has a little of that bunny around the eyelid thing going on, but no more than Tevye) and looked inside her mouth, never found anything. When she was young we even got her some VetRX and wiped it on her bill/nares. It would give her very temporary relief. Everything seemed normal and she was otherwise happy and thriving, so we decided to see if she would grow out of it. She didn't. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't gasp each breath, but today when I put her in the tub, I could plainly hear her breathing. When I pick her up, I can hear her breathe. This isn't true with any of my other ducks and wasn't true of Snow, so I know it isn't typical. Since she is now up to her 10 lb cruising weight and we had been seeing the vet anyway, we decided it was time to have her checked just in case it was something more than a somewhat constricted air path. The vet listened to her heart and lungs and even the air going through her sinuses and said it all sounded normal. She looked at her eyes, nares and inside her mouth and said it all looked good. No signs of any bacterial or fungal infections. In that moment you couldn't really hear her breathe at rest either, so I lifted her up. When I do that, she hangs her head a little, then you can hear her breathe, so the vet knew I wasn't making it up. She said as far as she could tell Allie seemed healthy, but she would do some asking on "the vet version of BYC" (my words) and see if anyone thought different.

When I scheduled Casey, it was for a follow up. Casey seemed to be fine and in fact was getting a bit restless wanting not to be confined all day. Last night though she prolapsed again. She didn't have an egg, but I guess she was just irritated enough and inflamed enough and pushed hard enough that she popped back out. Now she had stayed together for 3-4 days with no stitches and no eggs so, the vet cleaned her up again and stitched her up again. If we can keep her from laying an egg for a couple weeks, then hopefully the stitches will keep her right-side-in and she will heal. I am supposed to take the stitches out in 2 weeks if all goes well. We also got some more of the anti-inflamatory and a different antibiotic, Doxycycline. And we still are applying her silver butt polish
gig.gif
LOL she must really shine by now.

Poor thing almost there and then to prolapse again. I hope this time it takes and she can get back out with her buds.And yall can do a big sigh of relief.
Also hope Allie is just Allie and this is nothing to worry about. Sounds like you have a good vet helping your babies.

Yup. I feel they are very honest too. I asked her straight if we were in her comfort zone with Casey, and she said yes, but if we weren't successful after she actually had time to heal (hopefully stitches + no eggs for a couple weeks will provide that), that she may need surgery and she wouldn't be comfortable with that and she recommended another ducktor
gig.gif
for that, so if this goes south we may check with that vet. To be honest, that means a lot to me. That tells me that she won't be guessing just to look good and if she knows something she probably knows for sure.

Both Casey and Allie made a real impression at the vet. They are our most tame ducks and all our ducks are fairly tame for outdoor ducks. Casey and Allie are probably on the level of the more nervous house ducks. When the vet was listening to Allie's breathing in various places, Allie was just standing on the floor. She let the vet put the stethoscope up against her in various places, and even lift a wing to listen from her back side. No one was holding her or restraining her, she just let it happen while curiously watching every move the vet made. And Casey now knew what was coming, was scared, but when super painful things weren't happening, she just lie on her back calmly, and when it was bad, she squirmed minimally and gave her objection honk a few times. She never bit or freaked out at all (just some leg peddling). I am so proud of my great patients
big_smile.png

Disclaimer: Casey is more squirmy about getting her oral medications than having minor surgery on her privates.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom