Help!!! found this baby hiding under my truck.... not sure if its a turkey or chicken, or if its a w

newtochickens88

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Florida
hoping someone can help me identify what this baby is exactly so I can take the appropriate action. If its a wild baby bird I want to get it to the local wildlife rescue.

Well, I certainly don't know what all the fuss is about. I know exactly what it is. It's a Droptusbutluckus. See, they are a rare species, only found by a few intrepid folks with big hearts. They are elusive, usually only appearing only once every 10 years or so, and they chose the time and place to be spotted. It's unusual for one to be found by someone with access to this kind of forum, however, since they usually are only found by people who then spend the next decade saying, "No, really, I found this bird and it was the saddest thing I ever saw. It was thiiiis big, had a long beak, a funny shaped head and slept upside down. I'm serious! Gimme me another beer and I'll tell you what we did with it."

Whatever it turns out to be, I seriously admire your compassion and commitment to save this precious life. I am subscribing, well, just because.

If it's every 15 times or so I would think it's just cecal poop.....the ceca absorb excess liquid and store it, then release it every so many stools. Stinks to high heaven and looks disgusting, but perfectly normal.

I sent some of your pics to the Cornell University Lab of Ornithology. Below is the reply:

Hi Gary,

Hmmm…looks like a domestic fowl of some kind. I would call it a chicken, as it doesn’t strike me as a particular species that I can recognize….

Not sure I can be of more help than that, unfortunately.

Marc

Last edited:
The starter has always been forthcoming - I think there was a painful experience, and now she is distancing herself. I'm getting bad vibes about her neighbor.

Wow, a mystery! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

For some reason this reminds me of the intro to the old Superman tv show...look, up in the sky...is it a bird?..is it a plane? Nope, it's mystery chick. (Hope I'm not the only on here old enough to remember that old show.)

Little Capone...he came from no where and disappeared the same way. You did a great job of nursing him back to health and getting him back on his feet. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Reminds me of a picture I recently saw of a recovered battery hen:

Es4wskb.jpg

No animal deserves to live like that. I'm going to go hug my girls now, and tell them how good they have it when they cluck at me!!!!!

I'm so sorry everyone for taking soooo long to post an update, my daughter just started kindergarten last week so we had a CRAZY week I'll post pics later tonight. We've decided, or I should say my husband decided he should be named Capone, one of the conditions of him building me a new enclosure outside for my little man. I've been trying to introduce him slowly to my other chickens through a fence but he always seems to squeeze himself through and ends up squaking until I come out to rescue him, today I tried something new, I placed him inside a small enclosure inside the huge chicken run, all the hens did was run circles around the pen pecking him whenever they could reach, my rooster left him alone though.... I ended up taking him back out... The cutest part though was when I went to get him, I took him out of his little enclosure and he ran to the gate, I opened the gate and he ran to the back door, I opened the door and he ran and jumped in his cage... He was sooo happy to be back inside, I'm not sure if hell ever be an outside only chicken... His beak is growing back and he is doing wonderfully! Pictures coming later tonight, thank you all for loving him as much as me!

Back
Top Bottom