HELP Guinea broke his Toenail off and it won't stop bleeding!!

Gwynny7

Songster
Apr 4, 2016
Eastern, Pennsylvania
One of my male guineas somehow broke part of his toenail off. We separated him from the other birds when we discovered this. I cleaned the blood / and toe and toenail with hydrogen peroxide. I held steady pressure 2x for many minutes and I still can't stop the bleeding. I tried using the super glue and baking soda trick I saw --- put super glue on the bleeding part and get baking soda all over it to "cure" the glue. I have done this and the bird just wiped the powder off. My Dad tried it twice and the same thing happened. Big Boy (the guinea) keeps lifting his foot to his breast rubbing it on his feathers.... the toenail is bleeding so he is making his chest all bloody.

Do you have any method I can try to stop the bleeding? I don't have any bird meds on hand but if you tell me what I should look for I will go get it!

I am going to try to take a photo so you can see what is going on!

Last edited:
I don't have the gel kind will the normal super glue cure under water? I am going to go try that! I am willing to try almost anything at this point! I just don't want my bird to die from blood loss!

Yes, any super glue (not just the name brand) will cure almost instantly underwater. It is just easier to get it to stay where you want it if it is thicker to begin with.

Super glue will cure instantly if you put it under water. So maybe the trick is to glob a ton on his nail, then dunk his foot in a bucket of water. Will work especially good if you can get the thicker "Gel" kind of super glue. Anything that contains cyanoacrylate will do the trick.

I don't have the gel kind will the normal super glue cure under water? I am going to go try that! I am willing to try almost anything at this point! I just don't want my bird to die from blood loss!

Ok Thanks! I am going to try flour first. If that does not work then I am going to retry the super glue and put it into water like @paneubert suggested! I will let you know if either works and will try to get a photo!

Ok Thanks! I am going to try flour first. If that does not work then I am going to retry the super glue and put it into water like @paneubert suggested! I will let you know if either works and will try to get a photo!

If you are curious about the science, it works because cyanoacrylate cures when exposed to moisture. So dunking in water makes it almost immediate. Same reason you can glue your fingers together quickly. The moisture in your skin cures the glue fast. Gluing something really dry takes longer, etc...

I did the flour trick. Here are the after photos. Do you think it looks clotted? It almost looks like the super glue kind of worked along with the flour to me but I am not entirely sure...

Toe and Toenail that was bleeding

Close up (surprisingly) he stood still after the flour so I took the opportunity to grab some photos.

Sitting on his new bed of pine shavings (way more comfy than those paper towels). I waited to give the shavings until it looked like it stopped bleeding.

How does the bird look? He look ok? What signs would show that he is feeling off due to blood loss?

Back
Top Bottom