Help!! I think my hen has Gleet. *graphic picture*

wildriverswolf90

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
polk county, NC
I went to trim some excess fluff off of my orps butt, and found mites and what look like white balls attached to the base of the feathers. I tried to trim as many off as I could off. And dusted her heavily in DE. I remember reading someone where on here about a thing called gleet that lloks like white balls on the feather base, but I can't remember what they did to treat it. Please Help!!

Edited to add, just gave her a bath. Here is a picture.

Last edited:
My orpingtons and brahma all had this but the other hens had no sign of it at all. The white balls are the eggs of the lice and are layer at the base of the feather nearest the skin as they can get! They are like crystalised sugar balls. My book poultry book from the 80s suggested that I pluck the affected feathers out, this seemed harsh but did the trick. We also dusted the birds and nest boxes with de powder.THey are fine now with regular checks/de baths. Hope this helps :)

My orpingtons and brahma all had this but the other hens had no sign of it at all. The white balls are the eggs of the lice and are layer at the base of the feather nearest the skin as they can get! They are like crystalised sugar balls. My book poultry book from the 80s suggested that I pluck the affected feathers out, this seemed harsh but did the trick. We also dusted the birds and nest boxes with de powder.THey are fine now with regular checks/de baths. Hope this helps :)

Thanks :) I dusted with DE, but she is super fluffy and I'd hate to pluck all those feathers, unless I have too

Yes plucking the feathers did seem rather harsh to me too. Maybe using coconut oil as dawg53 said would help the eggs slide off the feather base? Although mites/lice and the eggs give me the heebie jeebies!! Eww!Using garlic apple cider vinager in the water can also help as a deterent.

Yup exactly what mine had. Like I said I had to pluck out the most affected feathers (only a few) and dusted with de powder. However you should be able to get a spot on treatment that will kill everything from the vet, including worms. In the uk its called xeno spot on but is ivermectin. The only downside to this is there is a withdrawal period for eating eggs.

I pulled the nastiest feathers during her bath yesterday, and bathed her with dawn. Then I rinsed her in ACV, in case a yeast infection had come up. And then heavily dusted her DE in again. Looking at some of my other birds, I'm seeing other affected by the mites, my fault I just brought in soem new birds and while I did quarantine them, my property is small and i guess it spread. I'll be scrubbing and cleaning all the coops this weekend, then spraying with oxine, then dusting all the roosts, bedding, runs with sevin. Dusting all the birds and the a dosing with permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom