Help Identify Breed.

abmung

In the Brooder
May 19, 2023
Hi,

I do have a cockerel, possibly 8 or 9 weeks old now that was rescued in the mid of April and I thought I would ask the community help me guess or tell what kind of a breed he is. He is out growing every chicks in the my young flock. I am thinking between three different breeds, Jersey Giant, Black Orpington, and Black Australorp. (Possibility of a mix too) Here is some pictures I took. It’s the black chick. First pic was taken couple days ago prior to this post and the last was taken the 2nd day he was rescued.
IMG_1388.jpeg IMG_1376.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1265.jpeg

Leakage indicates mix breed cockerel. Very possible he has been mixed with one of the breeds you listed. May I ask what you mean by rescued?
Long story short: He was found in a cardboard box along with the other two, white and brown chicks on the side of the road. On the box it was written “Baby Chicks Need Help!” Out of curiosity I stopped and heard them crying inside the box. That’s how it all started.

Leakage indicates mix breed cockerel. Very possible he has been mixed with one of the breeds you listed. May I ask what you mean by rescued?

Because he is larger at this point, doesn't or wouldn't indicate necessarily that he is mixed with a Jersey giant. They tend to develop very slowly and don't start pulling away from the pack until 6 to 8 months.

He looks almost identical to my jersey giant mix. He carry’s more leakage than my Cocoa dose but I think that’s a cockerel trait. I can’t figure out what she was mixed with but I do think they are the
same mix.

Long story short: He was found in a cardboard box along with the other two, white and brown chicks on the side of the road. On the box it was written “Baby Chicks Need Help!” Out of curiosity I stopped and heard them crying inside the box. That’s how it all started.
Terribly sad. I suppose whoever left them gave them a chance atleast. Good for you for stopping.

Back
Top Bottom