Help identify these babies

My SO can home from the store with three baby chicks today but didn't know what kind they are. I found the sku and called the store. They told me they were auracanas, which we all is easter eggers. I think they meant the yellow one. I'm trying to figure out what the black ones with the yellow stars on their heads are.

Looks like 2 barred Rocks and an Easter Egger.

Unfortunately it seems to be all too common that TSC employees are deficient in the knowledge of what breeds and even what sexes of chicks have come in.

From what I've researched, they're looking like barred rocks. She (SO) said that sounds familiar. **roll eyes**. I think they're good with kids/docile? One of the black ones is not doing too well, flopping around, fell in her water, laying on her side, etc. I've separated her for now, and put a dab of corn syrup on her beak. Only time will tell. Hopefully the store will take her back if she dies within 24 hrs.
Our other chicks we've had in the past (from a different feed store) we've had no problems with. This is our first 'sick chick;.

I had one die with I. Hours of bringing her home. Everyone said I got lucky that they replaced her cause most tss won't. I just explained to the woman that it was not one of the birds I picked out her tail feathers were missing and she look compacted. But anyway they replace her and I the. Bought two more that I picked up myself lol

She's gone :( My kid is devastated. Hopefully, they'll exchange her. It was Big R, not TSS.

I'm so very sorry about your loss..I was thinking that the black chicks look like Barred Rocks and I was doing reading about them because I have 7 coming in April. Anyway, I read the ones with the yellow head spots are male, the ones with the white head spots are female but I also read the Barred Rock females have a more rounder head spot and they have Darker legs then males. If they are Barred Rocks they are excellent layers, Docile and smart too. They likely would be very good with kids being docile and friendly. Hope this helps. oh, they lay large brown eggs. best of luck with your chicks, they sure are cute !

Last edited:
Big R was nice enough to take the chick back and exchange for another one, since it was same day we bought them. While I was there, I did check and it is a barred rock. My daughter didn't want one of the same kind so she chose a wyandotte who looks to be a couple days older and so hopefully a little more hardy. So now we have an EE, a barred rock (still checking on sex link to see if we can determine female or male) and a wyandotte. Those last two will be new for us. We currently have black australorps and EE's. This morning, all are looking alive and alert. :)

Big R was nice enough to take the chick back and exchange for another one, since it was same day we bought them. While I was there, I did check and it is a barred rock. My daughter didn't want one of the same kind so she chose a wyandotte who looks to be a couple days older and so hopefully a little more hardy. So now we have an EE, a barred rock (still checking on sex link to see if we can determine female or male) and a wyandotte. Those last two will be new for us. We currently have black australorps and EE's. This morning, all are looking alive and alert. :) 

That is great news!!

Back
Top Bottom