HELP needed with breeding budgies( My budgies won't breed after many months!!!) Im dissapointed and exausted of waiting.

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
I have 2 pairs of budgies,one pair which I got when they were young and they bonded, male sang to her fed her, preen her... I tried with them is same setup like this one but after many months of female and male getting in and out of breeding condition, while female just bitting the nest box, not entering it, I gave up on that pair. They had everything, good diet with calcium, protein, greens, veggies, fruits, seed mixes... Now I got new pair already older(in this photo is my new pair) and I want to try again with them but I don't know If they'll mate or not. I mean for other pair I waited for 5+ months! I don't think I could wait for this pair that much. Do I need to change something in the cage? Female isn't currently in breeding condition but she also didn't touch the nestinf box. Thank you and please give some advice!!

Attachments

• 20220713_123902.jpg
    20220713_123902.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 57
Parakeets are colony breeders. They breed in large groups. Single pairs are less likely to breed. To encourage breeding you can play recordings of other parakeets. You can find the recordings on youtube. The birds will think there are other birds in the area and will be more likely to get into the mood.
Tried it every day, even now its playing but nothing, they just kiss and feed but female never enters nest box

I have 2 pairs of budgies,one pair which I got when they were young and they bonded, male sang to her fed her, preen her... I tried with them is same setup like this one but after many months of female and male getting in and out of breeding condition, while female just bitting the nest box, not entering it, I gave up on that pair. They had everything, good diet with calcium, protein, greens, veggies, fruits, seed mixes... Now I got new pair already older(in this photo is my new pair) and I want to try again with them but I don't know If they'll mate or not. I mean for other pair I waited for 5+ months! I don't think I could wait for this pair that much. Do I need to change something in the cage? Female isn't currently in breeding condition but she also didn't touch the nestinf box. Thank you and please give some advice!!
What was the age of your previous pair? My first pair of budgies laid after 9 (!!) months of being together just because they were young. If these ones are young too, they wont breed. 10 month+ budgies can breed properly. Also are you sure they are male and female? And are they facing any threats? (like a cat or dog, even if they can't do anything, the budgies WILL be stressed for them and may choose not to breed).

What was the age of your previous pair? My first pair of budgies laid after 9 (!!) months of being together just because they were young. If these ones are young too, they wont breed. 10 month+ budgies can breed properly. Also are you sure they are male and female? And are they facing any threats? (like a cat or dog, even if they can't do anything, the budgies WILL be stressed for them and may choose not to breed).
First pair is currently around 1.4-5 months old, other one is older than 9-10 months. I know they shouldn't be bred before 1 but I know they can. They aren't facing any threads and first pair is tame.

Wait until they are at least 10 months. If they are not entering the box change the style. Mine usually used a box that was deeper (top to bottom) than long, side to side. Although, most budgies/parakeets are not picky. Maybe @muddy75 can show you were breeding set up for them?

First pair is currently around 1.4-5 months old, other one is older than 9-10 months. I know they shouldn't be bred before 1 but I know they can. They aren't facing any threads and first pair is tame.
Is a clearer pic of the entire set up with close up pics of the birds possible?

Back
Top Bottom