Help on design for cold climate

I'm finding conflicting information but it sounds like fiberglass has an R-value of 3.4/inch while rigid foam is 4-6/inch depending on the type. We'll see what they have at the store. Plywood on either side would add about 1.5 to the R-value.

Any thoughts on flat panel heaters like the sweeter heater?
https://www.sweeterheater.com/overhead-model

I wish that sweeter heater gave the temp range in which it runs.

Have you gotten onto any of the Facebook pages? Alaska Flock Talk or.... ...... ...... there is one just for Fairbanks I think.

I would ask on those threads.

I would be good to get first hand knowledge .

I wish that sweeter heater gave the temp range in which it runs.

I am on the flock&talk group and will also ask there. Thinking of building a "huddle box" around half the roost and putting one of these in there. The temp range it runs is 160-180. Would like to find out how much electricity it uses compared to a heat lamp. As you know, electric ain't cheap up here.

You can adjust the amount of electricity use by using a dimmer switch. Both heat lamp and other sources of heat like the Sweeter Heater.
To compare electrical costs, calculate the watts used by each. Check your electric bill the charge per Kilowatt. Your bill usually has a delivery charge associated, so it gets into some math, but not all that complex.

You can adjust the amount of electricity use by using a dimmer switch. Both heat lamp and other sources of heat like the Sweeter Heater.
To compare electrical costs, calculate the watts used by each. Check your electric bill the charge per Kilowatt. Your bill usually has a delivery charge associated, so it gets into some math, but not all that complex.
If a heater is controlled thermostatically you need a meter to measure actual Kw use.
I found the Kill-A-Watt to be very useful...otherwise it's just a stab in the dark.

I am on the flock&talk group and will also ask there. Thinking of building a "huddle box" around half the roost and putting one of these in there. The temp range it runs is 160-180. Would like to find out how much electricity it uses compared to a heat lamp. As you know, electric ain't cheap up here.
I read that...

I was just wondering how well it ran when the outside temp is under zero.

I once bought some exterior flood lights AT MY LOCAL STORE that were no good below zero. :rolleyes:

I contacted the company and the rep says it uses less energy than a heating lamp, and that they send quite a few to Alaska. She assures me it will work in the coldest temps. A couple folks on flock&talk said they have them and like them. So I ordered one. I can use it for chicks too.

I think I've got everything I need to get me started with 4 hens- I ordered 20lbs of chick starter crumbles, 5lbs starter-grower crumbles, 2 cubic ft of pine bedding, 5lbs chick grit, a heavy-duty extension cord, a hanging feeder for the coop, and 50lbs 20% layer feed (Alaska Mill and Feed was cheaper than amazon or anything else). I'm thinking I can DIY a chick feeder & waterer, and have time to come up with something for the coop once they're in there.

As soon as our Amazon orders get here we should be ready for chicks :)

I contacted the company and the rep says it uses less energy than a heating lamp, and that they send quite a few to Alaska. She assures me it will work in the coldest temps. A couple folks on flock&talk said they have them and like them. So I ordered one. I can use it for chicks too.

I think I've got everything I need to get me started with 4 hens- I ordered 20lbs of chick starter crumbles, 5lbs starter-grower crumbles, 2 cubic ft of pine bedding, 5lbs chick grit, a heavy-duty extension cord, a hanging feeder for the coop, and 50lbs 20% layer feed (Alaska Mill and Feed was cheaper than amazon or anything else). I'm thinking I can DIY a chick feeder & waterer, and have time to come up with something for the coop once they're in there.

As soon as our Amazon orders get here we should be ready for chicks :)
sounds excellent

What do you think about this one, where there's just 1.5" styrofoam between 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood, framed with 2X2's. That would be super economical but would it be warm enough?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-insulated-detachable-chicken-coop.67052/
This is what I am currently working on these days. 4x6 on the inside. 2" styrofoam and wood for siding inside and out. No insulation on the floor as it will be sitting on the ground (will have to skirt it I guess). Working on the walls with the gables, the shorts one or done!

Back
Top Bottom