HELP! One of my 3 day old chicks can't poop!

A spade is a flat "hoe" like tool that I use in the garden......you could cut out weeds or dig rocks etc.... It looks like a hoe or shovel, but straight blade on the end of the handle, not curved like a hoe. It was VERY difficult for me to carry out...however watching them scream in pain to elimate and couldn't, was also VERY difficult. It was a horrible feeling getting the chick and carrying him to the back yard to do what I knew was the best thing for him. I prayed they would go quickly and as little pain as possible and to do my end of the job error free as I could.....I hope I never have to do that AGAIN!!!!
sad.png

Did you check in the "Emergencies" forum? I seem to remember someone using a syringe to squirt a little olive oil down their chicks throat. Possibly added it to their food as well. Keep up with the warm water cleaning and massage. Good luck!

Thanks....but I already culled them. I think they were too far gone. Their bodies had a defect that leaves them open to infection and elimination problems. An Araucana breeder said to do them a favor and put them out of their misery as they would not get better.

If it was in fact a birth defect, then your chick didn't have what this one did. This is not unheard of with this breed. I personally would like to hear your advice in case I need it in the future, but you should probably present it differently. If I had just lost a chick I wouldn't want to hear "You shouldn't have killed it, you could have saved it." I hope that didn't come across as rude, I know you meant well, but just remember the OP might have some tender feeling after losing chicks.

I do have several Araucanas left. She sent me extras.....I am VERY happy with the breeder and the chicks she sent, they are GORGEOUS! Unfortunately it is something that happens. I did email the breeder to let her know what happened so she might consider breeding in some tailed birds to liquefy the rumpless gene in the gene pool of her breeding stock. Araucanas are a VERY difficult breed to raise. Araucanas are not for everyone! They are NOT a breed for the meek....several are culled to get a good breed stock. This is my first time so even after researching relentlessly BEFORE deciding to get them, I still have alot of learning to do. All of it will come from personal experience now and not from reading and researching. Looking back on it the two I culled, they did look different from day 1, from now on I will know what to look for...... Thank You LanyaDon95 for your insight. It is true alot of people would take offense and have regret. I KNOW there was nothing I could do. So I take no offense. I PM'd a VERY experienced Araucana breeder here on BYC and she gave me great advice. She has a lot of experience with Araucanas and knew EXACTLY what was going on. Her advice to cull was sound. I should have PM'd her right off the start...the only regret I have is not culling immediately and that I let the chicks suffer for 3 days thinking I could save them.......

If anyone is interested I will post some pis of my chicks?!
Just to add a note......my chicks are not intended as breeding stock. So they are not perfect, some have no tufts some have 1 tuft as far as I know all the Araucanas are rumpless. I got a mix of chicks Araucanas, BLR Wyandottes and Lavender Orpingtons. I did not get them to breed just as pets.

edited to add a note...

Last edited:
I would love pictures! I've always wanted to see a "real" Araucana. The only ones I've ever seen were actually Easter Eggers. I have an EE chick that I suspect have more Araucana blood than the others, but I've never seen one that was for sure an Araucana. And of course, I love Wyandottes and Lav. Orps, too. ;)

Back
Top Bottom