Help! Pasty Butt

I don't think it matters as long as it's organic. I put it in a small dish and mixed a bit of chick food into it. they left it alone for a while, but if you leave them alone they will (eventually) eat it.

Last edited:
Do either of you have any advice on a chick with pasty butt. A momma hen is raising them. I have cleaned her butt twice every day and her vent looks fine. It's just sticking to her and won't fall to the ground without my help. I put chick electrolytes in their water and I've been trying to feed them protein. They have chick starter crumble as well. Also, is it okay if the mother hen drinks their water too? They are 6 days old
ReplyQuote Multi 

I just went through this with our chicks and got great advice here.
1. organic plain yogurt (no added sugar)- 1 teaspoon mixed into a cup of crumble-every other day
2. organic apple cider vinegar. Mix it into their water- 1 teaspoon per quart of water
3. olive oil. Spread over her bottom area and below it so the poo doesn't stick to her feathers.

I used a warm soft cloth to clean her once or twice a day (depending on how bad it was and how stressed out she was when I held her) very gently blotting it to soften the poo then wiping it off.

Next, I blotted the wet area dry with a cotton ball as much as I could.
Then, I applied olive oil with a Qtip to the OUTSIDE area around her vent and below it on the fluff.

Once I did the 3 things above, she cleared up within 24 hours.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have one chick that's always had poop stick to her hind end. It never covered her opening and she always has been active. I've never been diligent about cleaning her as it made ME uncomfortable! She's 5 weeks old now and her rectal area is red and bloody. I wiped some chunks of poo from her and will try snipping off some of the rest.
If I give the yogurt and apple cider vinegar, will all the others be okay to consume it? I have 10 total.
barnie.gif

I have one chick that's always had poop stick to her hind end. It never covered her opening and she always has been active. I've never been diligent about cleaning her as it made ME uncomfortable! She's 5 weeks old now and her rectal area is red and bloody. I wiped some chunks of poo from her and will try snipping off some of the rest.
If I give the yogurt and apple cider vinegar, will all the others be okay to consume it? I have 10 total.
barnie.gif
You have to wash and dry her bottom,you can use a blow dryer on LOW setting to dry her. If pasty butt is a problem,just apply a bit of vaseline on her bottom. The problem you have now is the other chicks are pecking at her,and you now run the risk of infection.

Thank you for the help. I offered yogurt mixed with their food and she barely ate it. The other nine went crazy over it! I even kicked the others out of the coop and she barely touched it. So frustrating. I just gotta get over the queesiness and take care of her!

The apple cider vinegar and yogurt are fine for all of them based on what I have read here. Helps keep the pipes running!
I HATED dealing with the pasty butt- she was so upset, I was so upset and so scared of hurting her or causing her to have a heart attack!
Hang in there and just wipe with soft cloth and warm water until soft enough to remove. Our children told me to sing softly to her- so I did and now they all calm down when we sing to them :)

GOOD LUCK!

Her bottom was back to normal color the following day (yeah!) . She also joined in the yogurt eating frenzy. I'm not sure why the poo sticks to her though - it always has. She is the tiniest of the group. I'll stick to wiping her twice a day, olive oiling, and maybe someday it will clear up completely.

Back
Top Bottom